584,829 active members*
4,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Have you ever applied for patent rights?

Cool Have you ever applied for patent rights?

Have you ever applied for patent rights?
    What is the benefits to owning your own patents?
    Is there anything you would do differently the next time?

Currently I have many ideas I would consider patent worthy, but don't really know where to start as far as acquiring or applying for a patent!
    What is the out of pocket expense, and is a patent search attorney necessary?

Any feedback on this subject will be appreciated!

HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster
    Have you ever applied for patent rights?
    What is the benefits to owning your own patents?
    Is there anything you would do differently the next time?

Currently I have many ideas I would consider patent worthy, but don't really know where to start as far as acquiring or applying for a patent!
    What is the out of pocket expense, and is a patent search attorney necessary?

Any feedback on this subject will be appreciated!
    Contact your local State Building. They have programs to assist people that want to patent ideas and products. The worst thing to do is let a Lawyer handle everything. He gets $$$ up front wether you make a dime or not, so be aware. I have friends that have done very well with their patent ideas. I'll get more in depth information for you and post it.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Go to www.uspto.gov and start reading, as in LOTS AND LOTS of reading.

You can dowload pretty much ANY patent that's ever been done in the USA. I haven't looked into what's involved in applying for a patent but I've perused the site for hours on end looking at prior technologies for ideas.

...my first patent issues on August 15. There are quite a few flaming hoops you've got to jump thru. I would recommend using a patent agent rather than a patent attorney if cost is any issue. Before even contacting one, do market research on your invention to discover if it's already been done. Then do your own online search at the USPTO. Ask yourself if the profit margin would be high enough, given a market demand for your product, to recover your investment and make a profit. Don't use these fly by night companies who offer 'Invention submission' services. The USPTO has several resources online that will assist your endeavor. Keep a diary of your ideas, and if it's really spectacular, file a provisional patent.

Wow!
    I had no idea it was so involved!
    That post from MXTRAS was enlightening to say the least!
    Eric

It is very involved and expensive getting a patent and you have to remember it only gives you the right to seek redress through the courts if someone makes and sells the patented item. If you do not have the financial resources to pursue an expensive court case then a patent is worthless. If your possibly patentable ideas are for small volume markets that are specialized then don't spend the money on patents spend it on getting your product out there and established. If your ideas are complicated to make and require a lot of expensive tooling and specialized knowledge same thing; focus on getting them out there and known. If your ideas are difficult to develop to a makeable and marketable form but are fairly simple to make once all the bugs have been sold then a patent may be a good idea. If the potential volume of sales is high then a patent is almost certainly a good idea. But the bottom line is if you don't have at least 10 grand stashed under the mattress don't even start because you are likely to run out of money before you finish.

It's all been said here. It's a real drain on your wallet. Stealthdumpkits made some really accurate points.

Mine is four years old and still is in the USPTO - some of this delay was intentional on my part and some was due to cash issues. This will be my third or fourth patent, but the first I have done independantly - it's a lot different when you are paying the bills.

If your idea is truley novel, and a substantial profit could be realized, then go for it. Otherwise, keep your money and be the first to market.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

I have two and they were both very hard to get. Even though they both were unique and blah blah blah. I am glad to have them but sometimes the processes felt like a cross between going to the dentist, the proctologist, and the IRS while having to pay a lawyer for the pleasure.
    TC

Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal
    I have two and they were both very hard to get. Even though they both were unique and blah blah blah. I am glad to have them but sometimes the processes felt like a cross between going to the dentist, the proctologist, and the IRS while having to pay a lawyer for the pleasure.
    TC
    TC... so they have been profitable for you?

I've filed a couple of provisional patent applications, so I could say "Patent Pending", but I think unless your idea will generate tens of thousands a year in sales, it's not worth it.

-Jeff

Take a peek at this link, too:

http://www.asktheinventors.com/getapatent.htm

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

There is also the opposite approach to patenting something; do the absolute reverse and thoroughly publicise your invention; make it Public Domain knowledge. Then no one can patent it; or alternatively if someone does manage to get a patent you have a good defense provided your publicity predated their application.

A reason for taking this approach is if you have something that is not going to generate huge sums of money (in the millions) but is going to step on the toes of a big company. Maybe you could get the patent but if the big company infringed you would probably not have the money to fight them. If it cannot be patented you cannot be prevented from making it and benefiting in a limited way.