586,000 active members*
5,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > SprutCAM 4 Expert - Dongle Version?

SprutCAM 4 Expert - Dongle Version?

I'm in the process of buying a copy of SprutCAM 4 Expert and have a choice of a version with software protection or a hardware dongle.

Are there any reasons why one of these forms of protection would be preferred over the other?

I'm hoping that the dongle would let me use Expert on 2 different PCs by simply moving the dongle from PC to the other.

Mike

Thats my plan. I want the dongle version so I can program in the comfort of my home, and then move the dongle to my control machine in the shop when I cut the project... At least thats the plan I guess the primary drawback is losing the dongle!

David

Dan,

I committed to the dongle version today and should have it in a week or two. It will be at least a month after before the Tormach mill it will be used on arrives, though. Hopefully by then I'll have learned enough of SprutCAM to make some simple parts.

I did email SprutCAM about use on 2 PCs by moving the dongle but got an ambiguous reply. Hopefully that was due to translation issues and swapping the dongle between PCs will work.

Losing the dongle *is* a potential problem. I've lost 2 USB flash disks in the past month and am always wondering where I've left my glasses.

Mike

Hi Mike/David,

Yes the dongle version will allow you to install SprutCAM on two (or more) PC's. SprutCAM will only run on the PC which has the USB dongle plugged in.
    The softlock version is locked to a single PC which can be a bit restrictive.
    Yes, you will have to be careful that you don't lose/break the dongle, my advice would be to make sure it is specifically mentioned on any business/home insurance so that you are covered should the worst happen.

Dave

Dave,

That's good to hear and I'm feeling a bit better about requested the dongle version.

Mike