585,728 active members*
4,002 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

home built cnc router

i am planing to make a router. i had down loaded the free plans by JGRO. pl advise that i proceed with this or there are other good plans.

Many, many, MANY people have built machines from the JGRO plans, and more than a few have been inspired by them.

All say positive things about this particular planset. Well...except for one man who wanted everything converted into metric. There's "always" one in the crowd...

JGRO is a good planset, and you'll likely be very pleased with the machine. A question, though. All machines have their limits, and the trick is matching the machine to your needs. Consequently, let me ask you what you intend to do with it? If you're going to be cutting 1/4" steel then, no matter how good the planset, JGRO won't be a good match for your requirements.

-- Chuck Knight

i cant understand this. u r encorging or discoraging. my wife is very tough. i have to built it from my pocket money. i am 47. so pl advise like minded husbands.

larger motors tend to need more expensive drivers , you may want to look at gecko drivers

Quote Originally Posted by sanjiv
    i cant understand this. u r encorging or discoraging.
    The JGRO router planset is excellent. It will produce a final product (machine) which is easily suited for light to medium duty routing in softer materials like wood.

Working with the softer metals like aluminum and brass would push this machine to its limits, and is not usually recommended. But, if this capability is truly required, some modifications could be made to allow it.

Working with steel would be beyond this machine's limits.

The JGRO planset is excellent. The machine it produces is excellent. But, you have to compare its capabilities, with your requirements.

What are your requirements for this machine? What do you want to do with it? These are important questions, and ones to be asked BEFORE you decide on a specific set of plans.

-- Chuck Knight

Quote Originally Posted by sanjiv
    my wife is very tough. i have to built it from my pocket money.
    Ha at least you get pocket money

Try promising to make something she can use or likes... might do wonders for the building budget hehe

Well the machines built from the JGRO plans do look pretty sweet, I would probably have used them, except I live in a very humid part of the world, kinda turns MDF to mush...

Russell.