4,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Chuck indexing on a Fanuc 0TD..

On this control, can I make the chuck stop
    at an exact position in a program ?

Thanks

If this machine is a Lathe with a True C Axis in the main spindle I would say Yes, but not knowing what your machine and options are I have no idea.

Also do you have a Programming Manual with the Machine? If so, it may give you some idea of the options that are available.

Post more information and I'll see if I can help you.

BTW: Welcome to CNC Zone!! :cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks Tobyaxis,

sorry for the missing info.

It's a Shenyand CAK6161D lathe with Fanuc 0TD control.
    No C axis.

I'm developping the machine for someone, I'll ask for
    the books and check for an M code for indexing.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickb
    Thanks Tobyaxis,

sorry for the missing info.

It's a Shenyand CAK6161D lathe with Fanuc 0TD control.
    No C axis.

I'm developping the machine for someone, I'll ask for
    the books and check for an M code for indexing.
    I could be very wrong so check with Fanuc and the Manuals. If there is no actual C Axis there may be a way to design a type of Break System to lock the spindle. You may also be able to Origin the spindle with that Break. I am only guessing.

I'm not a Tech, just a Programmer/Machinist.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Ok, I'll check probably tomorrow for
    an M code, or if I can't find something, I'll
    get back to you to find a way to index the spindle.

Thanks a lot

singel block;o)

I fairly sure

that the only way to do this is with the spindle orient option (M19). Unless you're refering to an "indexing chuck" such as a Forkhardt that allows for machining of both sides of the part sequentially.
    Paul Sevin - Ovation Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.ovationengineering.com

I'll try the M19 code.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patrickb
    I'll try the M19 code.....

Thanks

M19 is for a Mill!! There will be a list of Miscellaneous Functions in your Machine Manual. Some of these are unassigned as others already have a designation. It may be possible to set specific Parameters to designate M-Codes for functions that are called "User Definable", but personally I don't mess with that stuff
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Check your m-codes

M19 is spindle orient on most lathes equipped with the spindle orient OPTION.
    Paul Sevin - Ovation Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.ovationengineering.com

There is spindle orient and spindle positioning for use of live tooling etc, M codes are written by the machine tool builder, not Fanuc.
    The way it is often done, rather than using the spindle amplifier for C axis positioning (orient is a different thing) is to fit a C axis servo motor on the final shaft of the spindle and this servo is only enabled when the feature is used, otherwise the C axis is disabled when the spindle is used in the normal way.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Ok I don't have the M19 option (spindle orient),
    I really need to index or orient the chuck, the machine will
    be working alone with a robot that will put the part
    in the chuck.

What would be the best solution ?

Install the M19 option ?
    How much $$ for this option ?

Fabricate some kind of home made design ?

Any suggestion ?

Thanks

I assume you need some means of avoiding the jaws? Or is it a special shaped part?

I'm helping my brother for this project, so I don't
    know all about it but I would think
    you're right Ozemale6t9.

Sorry Ozemale6t9 I didn't read all you're question.

The part will be tubbing that will be held in a hydraulic
    chuck.

Contact an Fanuc person. In Fanuc OI there is an way to index the spindle, not clamp, only index, like M19 function. You need change an parameter to do these, and there is another way that's possible you put an degree to do these index. I don't has the manual's from 0TD command, but if you find an Parameter Manual of 0TD, it's possible you change these. To you aplication, i think that's good, you don't need clamp the spindle.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by xavierdemoura
    Contact an Fanuc person. In Fanuc OI there is an way to index the spindle, not clamp, only index, like M19 function. You need change an parameter to do these, and there is another way that's possible you put an degree to do these index. I don't has the manual's from 0TD command, but if you find an Parameter Manual of 0TD, it's possible you change these. To you aplication, i think that's good, you don't need clamp the spindle.

Daniel
    The spindle can only be positioned by degree if the spindle drive is capable of such and the command is written in to the PMC, or the C axis is implemented.
    Just changing a parameter will not give it to you, especially if it is not capable and the hardware not fitted.
    Al.

Albert E.

I assume the part is not symetrical? and you want to orient the insert and removal point?
    It could cost very big $$$ to not only implement the M19 but the spindle control generally has to have an orient feature.
    If this is not so, the next best would be to rig up a servo positioner like I explained previously, a motor that would index slow and look for either an encoder marker or an external switch.
    Also with this type of set up there usually has to be communication between the Robot & CNC, i.e. handshake etc to notify when either one is done.
    Once the program gets to the load point, you would need to communicate that to the robot, which in turn could initiate the orient, once oriented the robot would need to know and could implement an output to cycle start the CNC again if it was on an M1 etc.
    Al.

Albert E.

Yes the part will be symmetrical and I want to orient the insert and removal point.

I'll discuss your idea with my brother and see.

Thanks.

Did you get a illegal M code alarm when you tried M19??

Page 1 of 2 12