585,557 active members*
3,332 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 Motor Tuning Question

G540 Motor Tuning Question

So the last time I tried tuning my motors I ended up stripping out the pots. I know I have to do it but I am dreading it.

One thing I've thought that might help is having the motor closer to the driver so I can hear it/see it better. Will it matter much if I just use the short bit of wire attached to the motor connected straight to the board rather than the full cable length I'm using on the machine? (aka I'm a bit lazy and don't want to take my cabling out of the cable tracks if I don't have to.)

Thanks!

Re: G540 Motor Tuning Question

while im no expert on the subject, i have a feeling you require the leads to be as is, due to induction, capacitance and all that other nonsense when dealing with wires and hi frequency square waves.

on the other hand, i dont really bother that much with the tuning at all, but hey...

you need the plastic screwdriver.

the one time i did tune the motors, as i had trouble getting anything to engage the pots... i actually popped the gecko apart, (yes they are modular and can be "carefully" pried apart) and got a small bit of rod, split it at the end, and cut a small length of nylon tie, inserted into the rod, and the business end shaped to actually engage those horrid lil pots! made it easy and safe. thats the biggy. cant have fried gecko now!

really too much effort to go to again, do you think i can find that tool again? or the plastic screwdriver from a telly (really hard to find them now! thanks LCD tech!) i know was right *there* when i didnt need it?

i hate murphy. grrrr. murphy and his horde of freakin lil gremlins, training em up for the big bad world at MY PLACE!

besides, i never really figured out how to spin the things constantly at...its 200rpm, isnt it, that the manual says? undo this, loosen that, remove those, fiddle fiddle, always fiddling, never doing anything of any use... i got this thing to use, not fiddle with!

hmmms, speakin of fiddles, i might go work out that python script now i have linux and know what it actually is....play vivaldi in all four axes!

with so much stuff on hand, one spends more time locating it rather than using it.