it appears that the gecko g540 really does need 3A capability in the power supply

*shrugs* oh well, back to scratching through the bin for a transformer...

i had this awesome ferguson transformer from an ancient electric organ, at least 2kva, has two windings that at 33VAC each, plus another 12v winding, was giving me lovely 45V dc when rectified...just right

just a tad on the heavy side... and well, i discovered, much to my chagrin this morn, that i couldnt bolt it into the enclosure i obtained specifically for bolting it into...grrr.

rather than make awkward brackets, and as this thing weighs about as much as a 100mm bench vise and could possibly be used as a low current TIG, i looked at other transformers...

i had a sneaking suspicion that the 30v multi tap 1A rated (so whats that? 30VA?) wasnt up to the task...

it wasnt

its sat there, idling with three steppers, for the last half hour and just popped :wee: i love that smell (flame2)

so i guess i have to put up with the 72va (3A, 24VAC) transformer from what i think...i believe, is an old christmas light transformer, back before them LED things came into vogue...

have another one that says 3A and has two out puts, but its smaller than the one with 72va on the label! and either way...24v aint enough, wire em in series and 48Vac is too much (once rectified)

maybe the bigger one is liberally rated so it doesnt pop too? 110% duty cycle rated or something...

oh well

just have to put up with 24V for a while i guess.... at least it gets me operational again, and will take less time to fit than its taken to write this thread!

then look into getting something around 150-200 VA or so...