585,771 active members*
4,281 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Fanuc 6M will not power up

All,

I bought a Yamaguchi YMV-60 a year and a half ago. The machine hasn't run for at least that long, perhaps 2 years. I put power on it for the first time today. I get nothing on the screen. The machine fault light illuminates on the control pendant. If I hit reset the light goes out, but turns back on as soon as I release the button. I've looked in the panels and I see several green leds on, no red ones. What I think to be the main board has 4 leds with "alarm code" above them. They are not illuminated nor blink in any way. I've checked for the obvious circuit breakers tripped and found none. There are a couple fuses that I haven't checked yet. I am running this off a phase converter. I have use this converter previously to run an old Mazak lathe with T1 control. I swapped legs around a couple times to see if I had the phasing wrong, no change as far as I could tell. Then I balanced the legs on my phase convert a bit better. Currently I have 242-248 with no load across the legs. With power on to the machine I have 240-245 across the legs. That's 2%, which I would think is plenty good. The rule of thumb I have been told for cnc's is 5% or better.

Any ideas where to start? Is there something you have to do with these 6M controls to get them going again when the memory battery dies? I am going to sit down and read the books, but they are Japanese translated (poorly) into English by a German with a Spanish interpreter, so I am not holding my breath with them.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Fanuc 6M will not power up

CNC folks,

Update: I checked the power unit and have +5 and +24, so I don't think that is the problem. I checked a couple fuses in one of the cabinets and they were ok. However, when I took the back cover plate off the control pendant I found a blown fuse on the CRT board. I did see some black/brown sticky-oily substance on and around the flyback transformer, the wire, and also where the wire connects to the CRT tube. I am not certain if that is an indication that the transformer has failed or some coolant has made it past a seal? It's not a lot of liquid, but noticeable.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Fanuc 6M will not power up

Update update: I replaced the fuse on the CRT board. Powered the machine up and lo, the CRT works! Evidently everything is ok on the CRT module (for now anyway). Once I connected an air supply all alarms cleared. Case closed.