584,814 active members*
5,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Unwrap a curve?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Unwrap a curve?

Unfortunely arronbee has not reponded to any of the answers so we don't know any more than the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Forbes View Post
    ...My impression is that aaronbee needed assistance in a method of unwrapping a curve for his project...
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronbee View Post
    ..Is there a way to get this done in Rhino or something else?
    aaronbee asks if Rhino can unwrap the 3D model or is there some other method to get the tool path.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    I think what I pointed out was that there are a couple different results, depending on what was requested. But both are correct...
    ... think of a flag pole or something of the sort that is pitched 60 degrees to the left and 15 degrees to the front...
    I believe there is only one interpretation to aaronbee's post. "projected angles".

The two angles combined (60 & 15 deg) equates to 60.293 deg. A drawing using this single angle will give the correct face.

To draw the face when rotating the part, 60 and 7.6307 deg will give the correct angled face.

I see it now. Applying the 15° after the 60° changes the 60° to 60.8526°. I should have paid better attention to you earlier in the post.

When illustrating the projected angles of the 60°/15° an angle of 29.7074902° is produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Forbes View Post
    When illustrating the projected angles of the 60°/15° an angle of 29.7074902° is produced.
    Yes, that angle is the same as the cut angle 60.293, (90 - 29.707) as posted in #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Compound Angle for 60 and 15 deg is 60.293 deg...

Thank you. That totally did exactly what I wanted.

And thanks to everyone who responded. I don't think I made it exactly clear that I'm rotating the pipe (x axis) under the torch and the torch only moves across the length of the pipe (y axis). I'm not sawing across it like a chop saw would at some angle.

I took a 1.75" circle in Rhino, extruded a surface, rotated it 15 and 60 degrees, split it, UnrollSrf and ...BAM! ...just what I wanted. Now I have a flat, sine-wave-looking curve that I can use to tell my torch how to cut the pipe.

Also, it is true that I won't get a beveled edge on the cut like you would on a tubing notcher, but this is mating to a flat surface and the wall thickness is like 13 gauge, so whatever gap it has will be minimal and completely acceptable for my application. UnrollSrf was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

... rotated it 15 and 60 degrees, split it, UnrollSrf ...
    This may be close enough for your job, but rotating 15 and then 60 deg doesn't give the correct combined angle as pointed out within this thread.

Page 2 of 2 12