586,024 active members*
3,759 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > New Milltronic user, great machine, but need help.
Page 1 of 2 12

New Milltronic user, great machine, but need help.

I have a Milltronics Partner IV with Centurion IV controler. I don't know how to run this machine, yet. I think I have the main power hooked up right. How can I run it though a test cycle of sorts, to see if everything works? It displays a message that the backup battery is low. Where is that located, and how is it replaced. Thanks

I'm not familiar with the IV controller but most batteries are on the motherboard. Some of the old motherboards had large calculator/watch like batteries. Make sure you have a disk for the operating system before removing the old one. Sometimes running the machine for a few hours will recharge the battery.

Milltronics no longer supports these old controllers and was offering great deals to upgrade. That may be something to look into if the machine is in good shape (I have my doubts because of its age and it's a Milltronics).

As for running a test cycle, that would depend on the machine and options. Does it have a tool changer? What is the travel of the machine? (sorry not familiar with the partner IV either) I have a Partner I with a Centurion V controller. When you turn the machine on does it boot completely or stop with errors? If it boots without any errors then I can tell you what we do with our Cent. V machine, yours may be similar.

First, your have to hit the reset (green) button.

Then hit "Home" and cycle start button. You probable won't be able to do anything until the machine is homed.

Now you should be able to jog the machine with the wheel or the keypad. Jog each axis to its limits. Listen for stress on the servos, they should sound smooth throughout the full length of travel.

If the controller has an MDI mode you can input commands, such as tool change using G codes.

I'll be glad to help more if you PM me with a phone number, but remember I don't have the Centurion IV controller.

The older machines had Nicad's that did recharge. The newer machines may have lithium cells about the size of a quarter that do not recharge and recommended change every year or so. If the battery were dead, you would have seen a CMOS checksum error, requiring a reload of the CMOS hard drive settings. Leaving it on for a 24hr period should correct this, but long off periods could create future problems.

If it is a lithium cell, change it during powered will retain EPROM settings. Changing the older Nicads can be done in a similar fashion, but not worth the risk. If this is done in a power down, expect to restore the system in full. Much of this procedure depends on if this is a simdrive or a hard drive machine.

DC

The battery is a lithium 36 volt d-size. I left it on overnight. I still get a low battery message, but if I turn it off and then right back on, it will boot up. It doesn't have a home button. I cannot get it to jog, unless I hand move the table, then I can jog it back to that position only. Then it will say overtravel. How do I home? I does have a MDI mode. I appreciate the help, I am slowly getting there.

Once at the main screen, you need to press reset to engage the drives, then the far left (F1) button should display "Home". After pressing home, it should request the "Press Start cycle" Button. Once it completes the homing function, all other features in HDW and Jog should work.

I would not wait too long to replace the lithium cell. Consider the warning in urgent need of attention. It is not all that bad to reload the system, just more hassle than it is worth if at all avoidable.

DC

I will replace the battery, as soon as i can locate one. Reset and then F1. F1 button does not respond.

Does your control look like this model?

Older Control

Or this here?

Newer Milltronics control

I am not familiar with the older control features.

DC

It is the older control. I feel I'm getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnigh
    It is the older control. I feel I'm getting close.
    I'm not familiar with that older controller either, sorry. Have you tried to call Milltronics? Phone # 952-442–1401.

How is the battery connected to the board?

If it has wires coming out of it, I'd say it was a 3.6v Nicad about 1/2 the length of a doubleA cell. I didn't think the Lithiums came out until the mid 90's MB's. I would guess the older controllers were pre-90's?

DC

It says Lithium on it. It also says size D. I think I need to set grid axis. How?

The older control was so much different from what they have now. I can't offer anything other than start searching for operators and maintenance manuals now. It sounds like you will need them sooner than later!

DC

I did locate a manual. That should be a help. I do appriciate all the replies.

First off, your control has a "GRID" button not a "Home" button.
    Once you power up and depress the "RESET" button to activate the servo's
    you are ready to grid (Home) the machine. If the control doesn't bring up
    the GRID page, depress the "GRID" button and push cycle start to send the machine home. All of this must be done with the servo's on, IE. after depressing the reset button after power on. Once the machine is Gridded (Homed) it will tell you when it's
    finished, go to MDI and type the following: G92(enter)Z0(enter) cycle start.
    This just told the machine that the Z-axis is at Z zero. If you don't do this, the
    machine will alarm if you attempt to move the Z-axis. Now you should be to move
    the machine in any axis in any mode ie. MDI, JOG, or with pulse generator(Handwheel).

You are going to have to make a backup of your system parameters, if you do not
    already have one. Don't mess with the battery until you have a copy of the
    system parameters. I can tell you how to do this if you tell me what you will backing
    up on, ie. computer via RS-232, Floppy on control or Data cartridge on control.

You can test your system ram with a RAMTEST, but I wouldn't do it until you have
    a parameter backup because I believe it will erase your parameters. This is done
    by holding the number "1" button down during power on.

My machine's battery died years ago, I load them everyday I use the machine, it takes
    a couple of minutes or less.

Give me some more info and I can walk you through most procedures. Milltronics
    will sell you the programming and maintenace manuals, but they aren't cheap
    ~$250.00.

Ben

No grid axis

I reset the drives, pushed grid and then cycle start. I received an error code 19 saying "no grid axis." I have no floppy drive on control or Data cartridge on control, it does have a RS-232 computer port. I have a computer, but have not linked the two yet.

ERROR 19 : Grid was attempted with No axis enabled. Machine configuration
    parameter SP 066 cannot be zero.

What this is saying is that you don't have any parameters set within the machine.
    At the very least System Parameter (SP) 066 has no setting.

Go to DISP STAT (Green Button) Push button #9
    type in 066 then enter
    it will show what is registered there, if it's 0000 there is no setting.
    Check parameters 6 thru 35, then 66 thru 99, then 488 thru 502.
    If nothing is registered in these positions, then you have a machine
    without any system parameters. Do not panic. They are very easy
    to set and I can send you a generic list and or all of my system's
    parameters. However, with your battery problem, we need to address
    your RS-232 hookup asap. Get a cable hooked up to a computer and
    to the machine.
    I'll look around for a list I have and try to email it to you so you can at least manually type in the settings and see if the machine functions.

Ben

Yes that is what I concluded. Paramters are all zero. I'm getting a cable hooked up,and I have a computer to use. Thank you again for your help.

I have the computer pluged in. How do I get them to talk? Parameters are loaded. When gridding, the table overtravels, and I get an e-stop. I tried to set the limits, but I must not be doing it correctly.

Do you have any CNC communication software? What operating system is the computer running? DOS? Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP? If your cable isn't wired
    correctly you will need to go to Radio Shack or ? and purchase a NULL Modem
    attachment ~$10.

Just took a look at your email. In MDI mode type the following:
    S1000 enter
    M3 enter
    push cycle start
    This should fire the spindle at 1000 RPM
    If this does not work, I'll see if I can dig the parameters for the Yaskawa spindle
    drive. These parameters will have to be checked and or reset on the unit itself
    inside the left cabinet if you are facing the machine.
    Do you have CNC experience? If so, what machines? It will help me with further
    instructions.
    Did you get the machine without seeing it run? or was it running before you got it?
    Right now, the parameters I faxed you should have the machine running, unless there
    are some problems with the machine itself.

Page 1 of 2 12