585,715 active members*
4,019 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RF-45 Spindle Cooler

Since the CNC conversion I rarely run the mill at under 3k and for extended periods of time. The lower bearing would get so hot I could not keep my hand on it. I had previously added a downstop bracket to the spindle and decided to turn it into a combination coolant manifold and spindle lower bearing cooler. The results are working perfectly.

Link to the downstop bracket: http://ImageEvent.com/tppjr/rf45dove...ownstopinstall

Link to the manifold: http://ImageEvent.com/tppjr/rf45dove...bearingcooling

Let me know what you think,

Thomas

tppjr,
    Good piece of work. For some reason I could not get to your second link, but could be on my end.

What motor did you add to increase your spindle speed? Maybe you had a thread to you did this in? I guess my general question would be should people that increase their spindle speeds above the nominal 2000 rpm for the RF-45 mills expect excessive bearing heat?

Anyway, from your first link, I can tell you that I'm impressed with your ability to first define the problem and to engineer the solution!!!!!!!!

Good Job and I will try to visit your second link in the am to see your manifold system.

Thanks for sharing your work,

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron111
    tppjr,
    Good piece of work. For some reason I could not get to your second link, but could be on my end.

What motor did you add to increase your spindle speed? Maybe you had a thread to you did this in? I guess my general question would be should people that increase their spindle speeds above the nominal 2000 rpm for the RF-45 mills expect excessive bearing heat?

Anyway, from your first link, I can tell you that I'm impressed with your ability to first define the problem and to engineer the solution!!!!!!!!

Good Job and I will try to visit your second link in the am to see your manifold system.

Thanks for sharing your work,

Ron
    Ron,

Thanks. First, if you make it to any of the links go to the top and there is a drop down that will allow you to go to any of the others from there.

My RF is a true RF and is the way it came from the factory. It is the 220/3 ph 2 speed model. High speed in High gear is 3k. I don't know if they make it anymore but that is what I have.

TPPJR,
    I made to your web page today, what a treat!! I say again, you do excellent work. I'm currently manufacturing a product (limited manufacturing I must say) out of 6061 and at this point I'm in the marketing phase. I'm using a 3 in 1 machine, but if I can get a few units out, I would like to get a decicated mill based on the RF 45 (kind of looking at the IH). If you don't mind me asking, What kind of accuracy are you getting?
    And as far as material removal rates, what kind of cutting rates can you expect with 6061 and maybe a 4 flute 1/2 cutter.

Well thanks again for documenting your work and making it available.

Ron

Ron,

No problems at all. If it wasn't for groups like this I would never had been able to do what I have done. The more I can give back the better.

As far as accuracy, I honestly do not know, I have not checked. It is making the parts I need without any problems. As far as speeds, I am running the speeds that my CAD/CAM program comes up with. The limiting factoring is the spindle speed.

To be honest if I was to do it again I would most likely go with a Tormach, at least look real hard at them before I decided to go either way. It was as much fun building my machine as anything else.

Smile

Very nice conversion and web site. Inspiring is the word that comes to mind.

TPPJR,
    I spent a little more time checking out your site. Can't say enough.

What were your total X, Y, & Z travels? I like the way that you maximized the table travel.

Ron

Ron,

I am not ignoring you. As soon as I am back up (computer rebuild) I will check and post them. I wrote them down once but can't seem to find them. I will post them on mh photosite too.

Thanks for the kiind words,

Thomas

Question about your conversion

You conversion is amazing. I am getting the RF-45 and want to do a cnc conversion as well. Did you make any drawings of the x,y, & z screws you created? Would you sell a copy of the drawings?

Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by TPPJR View Post
    Since the CNC conversion I rarely run the mill at under 3k and for extended periods of time. The lower bearing would get so hot I could not keep my hand on it. I had previously added a downstop bracket to the spindle and decided to turn it into a combination coolant manifold and spindle lower bearing cooler. The results are working perfectly.

Link to the downstop bracket: http://ImageEvent.com/tppjr/rf45dove...ownstopinstall

Link to the manifold: http://ImageEvent.com/tppjr/rf45dove...bearingcooling

Let me know what you think,

Thomas

That member: TPPJR hasnt posted on here since october 2006. Hopefully he will see this and reply. His mill is awesome. You may be able to get ahold of him by email from his site. He sells some parts for VMax motorcycles. Later, Dave