585,931 active members*
3,744 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCad-CAM Turn / Lathe

BobCad-CAM Turn / Lathe

I'm contemplating adding a CNC lathe to my workshop and having looked through the After Dark videos and all the other material I can find there's little or nothing which covers what BCC Turn is capable of.

I'd really appreciate input from anyone using BobCad-CAM for turning as to whether it's capable of internal grooving, back boring and internal taper threads.

I'd also very much appreciate input from anyone who does use a CNC lathe and is not using BobCad-CAM with suggested alternatives,
    Regards & Thanks,
    Nick

Re: BobCad-CAM Turn / Lathe

That bad huh?
    I'd best investigate the alternatives then ;-)

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    That bad huh?
    I'd best investigate the alternatives then ;-)

- Nick
    Works fine, why not just download and evaluate it for yourself ??

I did try the Demo and it doesn't seem to support internal grooving or back boring so I looked at all the available material and no mention is made of internal grooving or back boring, I then asked the question.
    External Grooving and Face Grooving are explicitly supported in CAM, if it works I can only imagine that Internal Grooving requires selection of a strategy which isn't obvious but I've not yet managed to work it out, ditto Back Boring,
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I did try the Demo and it doesn't seem to support internal grooving or back boring so I looked at all the available material and no mention is made of internal grooving or back boring, I then asked the question.
    External Grooving and Face Grooving are explicitly supported in CAM, if it works I can only imagine that Internal Grooving requires selection of a strategy which isn't obvious but I've not yet managed to work it out, ditto Back Boring,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Nick

Seems to work here, see attached images.

Attachment 244270
    Attachment 244272
    Attachment 244274

All I did was set the Tool Orientation 4 to achieve these results.

Assuming you have drawn your geometry in the correct place then you shouldn`t have a problem, although it doesn`t actually show the images for internal toolpaths it seems that the software will simply do it all for you when the tool is turned upside down and cuts right to left (Orientation 4). If things are a bit tight then you will probably need to create your own tool holders to ensure correct clearances

Hope that helps

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Nick

All I did was set the Tool Orientation 4 to achieve these results.

Hope that helps
    Rob,
    That does help, I'll
    Many Thanks,
    Nick

I don't use Bobcad, but it should to internals okay. That is half the function of a lathe.
    If you want to explore alternatives, I use Dolphin Turn.
    It has a simple GUI and also shows a simulation as it is producing the Gcode. It can be run at anytime actually. I find that part very helpful. It helps insure the tool is doing what you want it to. It's pretty easy on the learning curve as well.
    Lee

I am using BobCAM Turn right now and I'm having the exact same problem with any inside geometry. It seems the developers of this software have missed the point in creating lathe software entirely. What good is a program that can only turn OD?

Technically, they don't even offer a boring option within all of the turning options. Setting the tool orientation to 4 works sometimes, but not all of the time. WHY?

Luckily, I program most of my code manually, which is way faster for simple work when compared to BobCAM Turn, but it would be really nice if they would update their software to be used IN A REAL MACHINE SHOP.

If anyone, anywhere has a link to a video showing me how to cut ID geometries other than a cylinder, PLEASE POST A LINK.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HarrelsonTpts View Post
    it would be really nice if they would update their software to be used IN A REAL MACHINE SHOP.

If anyone, anywhere has a link to a video showing me how to cut ID geometries other than a cylinder, PLEASE POST A LINK. !
    I'm a little confused...

It appears you are looking for instruction from a fake machine shop?

I program most of my code manually, which is way faster for simple work when compared to BobCAM Turn,
    Now that would be a good video....

I am using BobCAM Turn right now and I'm having the exact same problem with any inside geometry. It seems the developers of this software have missed the point in creating lathe software entirely. What good is a program that can only turn OD?

Technically, they don't even offer a boring option within all of the turning options. Setting the tool orientation to 4 works sometimes, but not all of the time. WHY?

Luckily, I program most of my code manually, which is way faster for simple work when compared to BobCAM Turn, but it would be really nice if they would update their software to be used IN A REAL MACHINE SHOP.

If anyone, anywhere has a link to a video showing me how to cut ID geometries other than a cylinder, PLEASE POST A LINK.

Thanks!
    Upload a Lathe file that you can`t cut and someone will have a look at it for you and hopefully point you in the right direction

The Lathe side does have a couple of small things that just need a little working round but on the whole it seems to work OK for most things including internal machining

It may be just the way you are drawing and selecting your geometry ? ? ?

Regards
    Rob

BurrMan, your extremely helpful post has made things so much easier. I cannot believe how quickly my questions dissolved after following your masterful advice. Thanks for at least sharing your strange sense of humor.

For any skilled machinist with experience, programming in G-code will always be faster punching numbers at the machine when compared to using BobCAD for standard features like facing, turning, boring, drilling and threading cycles. I purchased this software to handle the tough features like smooth accurate curves, which most machinists never see in their work. You're welcome to stop into my shop and watch me program if you see this as entertaining.

Rob, I searched far and wide (for over 2 weeks) and did not find a video or tutorial that solved my problem. However, I sat down for an hour and imagined being a computer programmer and realized once again that they usually have little to no experience with machining.

My lathe is a mill/turn center with 31 tools, 16 of them are live up to 50k rpm so I'm obviously doing more than XZ turning. I came to the conclusion that most of the really basic and important options I would like to see in the software related to the fact that not all lathes and cutting requirements are the same. For instance, I bore clockwise in the left side of the part for some of my work while other parts are run CCW on the right AND I do the opposite on my sub-spindle. The same is true with threading, I thread in every possible way due to part constraints including CW ID, CCW ID, CW OD and CCW OD. This is achieved by turning the left and right tools upside down and right side up.

In contrast to Delcam's PartMaker, BobCAD is quite primitive when applied to the demands of my parts/machine. Orienting a part would seem simple if you have a standard American style XZ lathe. But I have XYZ + X1Y1Z1 + C1 and C2 meaning I have to orient the cutting operations many times and there are no real logical options within BobCAD, that I have found. These functions should be simple and obvious.

I finally discovered exactly what you stated...that I literally have to mirror my curves to the quadrant I need to cut. I wish someone at BobCAD could have told me this little bit of useful information. It is not included in any video or training available on their website. Knowing that I need to move curves to the respective quadrant, which is essentially moving the part around the screen as it is being cut, has removed most of my obstacles. Adding one or two simple options to this software would likely help it compete with the big boys like Delcam, Siemens and SolidCAM, which is where I'm coming from.

Thanks Rob for your suggestions. I've posted renderings of a few of the parts I'm working on this week just to give you an idea of what I cut. I don't think I need any help programming at this point since my recent revelation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5MM all render 1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	252616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5MM all render 2.jpg 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	252618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5MM all render 3.jpg 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	252620

Now I see your problem, all the parts in your images are indeed simple OD/ID/Threading jobs when done as a single part on a standard lathe with just ZX travels, BobCAD Lathe isn`t setup for multi spindles and driven tools, it`s a fairly simple lathe program.

So, yes, trying to use BobCAD Lathe for your particular machine will indeed be tricky, some "workarounds" will definitely be needed and if you already have your canned cycles setup in your machines memory and only need to change a few numbers then I agree it will probably be just as quick if not quicker to program such simple parts at the machine control for your machine as you should just be able to set the operation (OD/ID etc) and select which spindle to do it at, most decent Mill/Turn machine controls will do these things for you in minutes for sure

BobCAD Lathe just isn`t up there yet, I have used Delcams FeatureCAM Turning for a Hitachi HiCell and that is excellent, BobCAD has a way to go yet for that level, I`ve no doubt it will get there, not looked at V27 Lathe yet, that may be closer, I`ll try and have a go on it later on the Demo version

Enjoy

Regards
    Rob

BurrMan, your extremely helpful post has made things so much easier. I cannot believe how quickly my questions dissolved after following your masterful advice. ]
    You seem pretty good at comedy, so I followed suit...

So lets recap...

You've been struggling for weeks, with errors, looking for tutorials to answer some fundamental questions... Within "2 post's" here in this forum, you have made a discovery.. Well, your post reads as if YOU have discovered this, but it reads to me like ROB, the experienced machinist, had to kindof guess at what YOU are doing wrong, and point out how to do a simple setup...

He asked for a file, in an attempt to "help" you... There is still nothing but a bit of *****ing from your end.... You may be amazed at what Rob can do, and show you, about how to use it...

The help file, although simplistic, definitely "shows" a proper lathe setup.. Sometimes though, when people think they are better than the software, they just skip over the fundamentals and create all kinds of problems for themselves...

Video's??? Yeah, THEY exist too.... This one describes your problems within the first 30 seconds:

BobCAD CAM V26 CAD for Lathe - YouTube

Here's another one that mentions it within 1 minute:

Video 11 Lathe Tutorial - YouTube

Can you believe there is also a video that describes programming a mill/turn live tooling machine? Although it's done with the multi axis toolpath strategies, because the turning package is not a multi axis live tooling module....

I suppose it comes down to if you want help, or if you want to insult BobCad developers and insinuate that anyone using BobCad cant be a "real machine shop".....

I'm not even a machinist and I could have solved your issue, with a little input from YOUR end.. May have even made a video!!!

I use bobcam V4 Lathe a few times a week for RC aluminium wheels. Works a treat. I don't have a multi spindle machine however but I believe they can be programmed. 90% of the turning I do is I/D boring and face grooving. Just because there is no a defined boring toolpath it's all either facing turning or grooving. Just select the appropriate. Maybe you need to upload a geometry file you need help programming. I am currently using V4 on my own lathe and on doosan lathes at work