585,762 active members*
4,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > kiwis is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me

kiwis is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me

I'm new here
    I'm building a 1.2m X 1.2m cnc router for wood and Just wondering if any other mad kiwis have built their own DIY one.
    about 3/4 away through. I imported linear rails and ball screws, motors, and boards as local prices are up there and I'm on what could be described as a limited budget. The aim is to come in under $ 2000.
    I'm using nema23 290oz/in motors ( probably under powered and slow but got to start somewhere and its only a hobby)
    I've got lots of questions like size of wire and shielded or not, and where to get it, but just thought I'd start by saying hello.
    I'm in the Waikato support the Blues but go the Crusaders Saturday.

Re: kiwis is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me

Hey, another mad kiwi here, I built a 1.5x1.2m table, came in at 50% higher budget than yours though, here is my thread
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...steel-amp.html

yea a few kiwi's here , from waikato but support blues an go crusaders - I don't think so all three teams suck
    I am from p/north - HURRICANES rule

HURRICANES suck, crusaders rule or should I say the allblacks LOL
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Another Kiwi here, near Welli. Don't log in often as I'm being kept busy at the mo. I've just (sort of) finished building a 730(x) X 400(y) X 130 (z) router, I'll bother to put photos up one of these days. Budget was around $2000 but I ended up spending a couple of hundred more then that and there is still plenty that needs tweaking. I ended up going with 420oz/in motors which are more powerful then I need, Rexroth and TKS/NSK linear rails and ballscrews from Japan and Germany (second hand from Korea via Ebay) so could have spend less or made one with a larger build area easily for the money, framing is laminations of 24mm birchwood ply so the rails are probably overkill but I figure I can upgrade the frame as it suits me.

Hi all...NZ/US citizenship here...and am unfortunately working up in NYC for the nonce. Can't wait to get back home to my family, in Wellington.

In the interim, I've been designing custom multirotor frames (quadcopters ATM) in AutoCAD, and building them out of G10. I've been using a guy up in Wisconsin to to the cutting, but am looking into getting something for my garage/shop area when I get home so I can cut my own.

Hi, another here from Akl. Would recommend one of the 2kw spindles with er20 collects, much better and quieter than using a router :-) my machine is 900x750mm working area, aluminium frame, 381ozin steppers running gecko g540 driver, all Chinese linear bearings and ball screws, done over 640hours last time I checked but more like 800 now and still going strong. If using mach3, the 2010 screen set is nice to use with mach3. Cheers, Grant. Attachment 250250

what type of machine would you like is the question.
    small light routers are good for plastic,wood,aluminium.
    strong heavy routers are good for anything bar steels
    there is nothing wrong with the spindles or steppers from china, just the electronics are ****
    the ball screws and rail just need cleaned before they are used uselessly have **** in them
    if you get a machine from china its 50%/50% if its going to be good.
    or you could do your machine shopping in usa then you could look at what you wont
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]