584,826 active members*
5,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Angled walls with chamfer mill?
Page 1 of 2 12

Angled walls with chamfer mill?

I've got a project where I need an angled wall in 6AL-4V, with one setup, so I can't use a sine-vise, or other method of tilting the work piece. I've attached an example .igs (in the zip) file showing a 60 degree wall. I've bought one of these Chamfer Mill and would like to use it to finish the 60 degree wall. I'm using v26 pro. Ideally, I'd rough it with a square end-mill then finish the wall by walking down it with the chamfer mill. I can't figure out an "easy" way to do that since 3D machining doesn't seem to support "V-bits" like the V-Carve section, or 2D chamfer tool path does. Right now, I'm considering.

1. Use 3D advanded roughing to hog most of the wall with a square end mill, leaving steps in the wall.
    2. Use the simulator to then create an .stl file of the workpeice after the first operation.
    3. Extract edges from the .stl "rest machining" file and do 2D chamfering on the extracted edges of the steps left from #1.

Is there an easier way?

-Jim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Angled walls with chamfer mill?

Is the chamfer mill you purchased long enough to do it in one shot?

Quote Originally Posted by kkburr73 View Post
    Is the chamfer mill you purchased long enough to do it in one shot?
    Negative. I'd need to do it in 4+ steps on my real model (the example above is just to illustrate the problem). I've got a small machine and I'm doing this in Grade 5 titanium, I've got to take off very little at a time.

-Jim

Well,I have done this many,many times on a manual mill,it takes some careful set-up.Plan on a little sanding if surface finish is key/and or flatness.If that cutter is off (which it will be) even a little,tiny bit from 120 degree's,you will have mismatch.If your step overs and DOC are (which they will be) off a little,there will be mis-match.
    On the manual mills I wear my bionic eyes and carefully match levels.Not going to be perfect no matter though.
    I have never done on a cnc,nor never will unless quantity dictates.
    In a nutshell I would draw the tool-path,each of the 4 levels,in 3D wireframe.From there you could use 3D engrave or 4 different profile tool paths.
    I will take a look at your file in a while.

you can purchase a 60 deg end mill that will do that in a full depth of cut.. process it the way you are to gut most of it out then use you 60 deg end mill and remove the steps side milling with a few passes at full depths of cut

Quote Originally Posted by kkburr73 View Post
    you can purchase a 60 deg end mill that will do that in a full depth of cut.. process it the way you are to gut most of it out then use you 60 deg end mill and remove the steps side milling with a few passes at full depths of cut
    He has a small mill.Milling in titanium,chatter will be a problem,or should I say "harmonics"?

Man if it was me,I would find a way to fixture the part if at all possible.

I just looked at his file,indeed he will be using a 60 degree cutter

I think the 3D engrave is the way I would try.You going to have to draw the tool paths on 4 levels and calculate the right offsets and calculate the step overs.

I think if you put a slice planar on that face and then set a "center cutting tool" then define the tools diameter you can get a good even step down for an angled tool.

Attachment 244266

Probably want to pay attention to the bottom of job with that too....

jrmach:
    Thanks! I hadn't found "3D engraving" yet. It's labled 3D Wireframe in my version and I'd never looked there before. I'm going to work with that for a bit to see how it goes.

Burrman: Thanks for the help, that would certainly work, but I was hoping for a solution that I could check in the simulator before I made the cut. The actual piece I'm working on is more complex than the example part I posted and I have operations that need to come after the wall is machined, so if I can find a way that Bobcad can accurately simulate, that would be optimal.

-Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kingjamez View Post
    I was hoping for a solution that I could check in the simulator before I made the cut.
    OIC...

chamfer sim - YouTube

Very nice! I guess I'm slow, but I don't see a choice to use anything but a standard endmill (square or radius) in my options when I select 3D-Planar. What did you do differently in that video from the file you posted the first time?

-Jim

I used a more expensive toolpath......

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    This is zero help.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post

You can do it with 3D Engrave.
    I worked it last night,,,for a while...I was close,,,but the Devil is in the details.BUT,I was close enough to assure you it will work.You'll just have to dial it in.
    I still say for many reasons,you will see a mis-match.I do not know the details of the part,but if this is the only way to run the part I'll believe you..
    It does sound like this ain;t your first go around with CAD/CAM(kingjamez).What others have you used,if I may ask?
    Ask away if you get stuck.
    Burrman used one of the multi-axis tool paths that are an add-on,I believe.The price gets steep.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    You can do it with 3D Engrave.
    I worked it last night,,,for a while...I was close,,,but the Devil is in the details.BUT,I was close enough to assure you it will work.You'll just have to dial it in.
    It does sound like this ain;t your first go around with CAD/CAM(kingjamez).What others have you used,if I may ask?
    Ask away if you get stuck.
    Burrman used one of the multi-axis tool paths that are an add-on,I believe.The price gets steep.
    Thanks! I'll investigate 3D engrave more, haven't touched it yet. It sure would be nice if the stock 3D tool paths could use a chamfer mill though, that would make life easier.

I've been using Bobcad exclusively for the last ~8 months or so for CAM, I still use Alibre for CAD but am "getting" Bobcad's CAD more and more every day. I've used a bunch of other cam programs over the years, immediately before Bobcad I used HSMworks (got spoiled with it at work, but can't use it regularly at home, it B.T.W. will use a chamfer mill with 3D tool-paths), I also own seats of Deskproto, Cambam+, and V-Carve pro, but don't use them since getting BC.

-Jim

"Thanks! I'll investigate 3D engrave more, haven't touched it yet. It sure would be nice if the stock 3D tool paths could use a chamfer mill though, that would make life easier."

Burr hinted that he thought "Slice Planar" may work.
    I am a little un-decided if you could get it to work.For one thing you will have to just put an image in your head of the tool and work from there.Simulation will be a no- go.
    BUT
    If anyone could do it,Burrman can,

This is zero help.
    Sorry to hear that..... I tried.

This might work then again it might not work. The only way I can get it to kind of work in V26 Pro. Just a thought.

Hi RAF, thanks for giving it a shot! From your screen shot, it looks great. I tried opening your .bbcd file but it crashes my copy of V26 pro every time. It says "cam tree loading failed".

Could you describe in screen shot or in words how you solved the problem?

I've been working with 3D engrave, that isn't quite getting it since I can't get it to step down the wall, but I'm likely doing it wrong. I think it's been easier going to do a 2D chamfer on circles that I derive from trigonometry. At that point though, I'm essentially doing g-code by hand.

-Jim

Hi RAF, thanks for giving it a shot! From your screen shot, it looks great. I tried opening your .bbcd file but it crashes my copy of V26 pro every time. It says "cam tree loading failed".

Could you describe in screen shot or in words how you solved the problem?

I've been working with 3D engrave, that isn't quite getting it since I can't get it to step down the wall, but I'm likely doing it wrong. I think it's been easier going to do a 2D chamfer on circles that I derive from trigonometry. At that point though, I'm essentially doing g-code by hand.

-Jim

Retry of just the taper tool feature - hopefully it will load

RAF.

Here is what I worked on a little last night.Any questions,ask.
    If this was for reals,you would not have a tool that goes all the way to a point.I did not complete the last pass either.The devil really will be in the details.You would want overlapping tool paths too(IMO)
    You can see I drew my tool,then I drew my tool path.Of course what I did is only an idea of the principle.

I have not tried the adaptive rough,but I would caution to look over the result real carefully.It is a roughing pass and I have not heard the results of any users using the tool path in this manner.Let us know either way of what you settled on.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12