585,741 active members*
5,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > New C10 BOB and KL5056 drivers can't get motors turning!!!! C10 the problem?

New C10 BOB and KL5056 drivers can't get motors turning!!!! C10 the problem?

Hi all first post here. Dare I say it a newbie!! Taking my first steps into CNC and currently trying to put all the electronics for the controller together.

The main components of interest are C10 S REV 1.2 BOB, with KL5056 drivers. With 570oz/in motors purchased from automation technologies, and KL-600-48 12amp power supply. With a parallel cable supplied by them also, so I am NOT using a printer cable. Just to be sure I have ohmed out the all 25 pins on the cable so she is good.

I have literally spent weeks trying all sorts of combinations and testing to get the motors going.

I used this wiring diagram http://www.kelinginc.net/KL-5056WithC10.pdf
    I have tried having the jumper for com pins set on 5V and GND, but I currently set to GND
    I have a jumper for outputs 2-9 for pull up or pull down. This is currently set to pull up
    I have a jumper for outputs 2-9 for input or output, this is currently set to output.
    I have tried both EPP and ECP modes on the PC with no apparent difference.

In Mach 3 I have set
    Pul- Dir-
    X 8 9
    Y 6 7
    Z 4 5

I initially couldn't get the LED on the C10 to light up but finally figured out that my 5V GND and enable terminals were flipped 180 contrary to the wiring diagram and manual. Once I got the enable jumper and GND to the right terminals bingo the LED came on so I finally had 5V to the C10. I then found I could jog my X in one direction only. I thought sweet just got to figure out this last bit. But after that I have not been able to get the motor to move since.

I have used multimeter on the C10 pins where you would usually plug in the ribbon cable. Using pin 25 as GND and Pin 9 I get 4.65V. when I jog the other direction it drops to 1.61V. Then jog back again and back to 4.65V

I have replicated this for Y and Z axis with GND 25 again and pins 7 and 5 with the same result. I am not really sure but this tells me that Mach3 is communicating with the C10 and Parallel cable is also working.

When I put the multimeter on the terminal 9 output (X dir-) of the C10 and COM (GND) I get a steady 4.9V and when I jog there is obviously no change hence why my motors aren't moving.

I have my E-stop wired up to terminal 10 and it operates as you would expect in Mach3

This is probably information overload. Trying to answer all the questions have you done this or plug that in etc... Just don't know where to go from here. I am thinking another C10 from another vendor they are only $30, but don't want to waste money if is not necessary of course.

I thought it might have been Mach3 or the parallel cable, but after my earlier test I think it is working as it should. I am now down to thinking it is the C10 BOB. I have triple and quadruple checked my wiring. Not sure if it matters but my dip switches on the kl5056 are
    1-4 on = 5.9Amp. 5 off 6-8 on = microstep 2.

I have searched and read heaps of the C10 posts but haven't come up with the goods to solve my problem.

Any help or tips or guidance would be appreciated, even regarding another reliable BOB, as I am seriously considering another one. Wishing I had just bought the Gecko 540. Probably would have been milling weeks ago.

Thanks
    Hayden

Re: New C10 BOB and KL5056 drivers can't get motors turning!!!! C10 the problem?

Which nema 23 570 oz do you have. One is rated at 3.5 amps and the other is rated at 5 amps. Either way 5.9 amps is too much unless I missed something. I bought 370 oz 3 amp motors and same c10s boards. I could not get the motors to work then realized I had the motors set to 3.5 amps. Also check the jumpers. I had to switch mine for com/5v. Finally check Mach 3 setting. Start with 1 motor. Get it working before moving to the next. If you are getting signals on the right pins then Mach 3 is working at least. Pin 2 on my board went bad. I do not like the push terminals so I ordered the original c10 from cnc4pc. Try different pins. It may be possible you fried something when you switched power inputs. Hope this helps.

Re: New C10 BOB and KL5056 drivers can't get motors turning!!!! C10 the problem?

Hi Hayden

if the wiring between the C10 and the KL5056 drivers has the C10 common set to Gnd it needs to be set to +5V

"I used this wiring diagram http://www.kelinginc.net/KL-5056WithC10.pdf
    I have tried having the jumper for com pins set on 5V and GND, but I currently set to GND "

in the pdf wiring diagram the + STEP and +DIRECTION terminals are connected to the C10 common which needs to be +5V

( if you connect the - STEP and - DIR to the C10 COM then the jumper needs to make the COMMON = GND )

make sure the step signal is connected to the step input and not the direction input !

the kl5056 stepper driver input terminals are connected to the LED inside the input optoisolators
    and need the +signal input terminal being made more positive then the - signal input

with the C10 common set to +5V you need to make sure the the step pulse is negative active low

if its set to active high , it will look like a broad step signal with a very short off time that the stepper driver may not respond to

John

PS
    one advantage of the C10 has IC sockets so a damaged IC can easily be replaced

Just wanted to give a quick update, and thanks to john_100 and jbrewton for your help and ideas.

I managed to put a few components together and get a temp PC built so I could test from a second PC and compare notes with the DELL PC.

Still same result motors lock up but can't get them turning. In frustration I purchased a second breakout board a MB-02 V6 from homanndesigns.com here in Australia. It looks similar to the C10 but with some variations. I have wired it up as per this http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN021_V1.pdf

Once again motors lock up, E-stop works but no motor movement. Com is set to 5V for the jumpers thanks john_100. On that drawing it says Mach3 needs to be set up with active low on all inputs and outputs. So have them ticked, but still no good.

I have also changed the amps setting on the drivers and currently have set at 2.1Amp and also tried half current dip switch and I was hoping this would be the miracle as I had missed this one, but no good.

I have also ohmed out all the wires for my motors to the drivers just to make sure I didn't stuff up that wiring and its all good.

I am damn frustrated and don't like being beat, and when things aren't working my logical brain likes to know why. Don't know where to go from here. Give it a rest for a week or so and decide if I am going to through more money at it with a USB or ethernet smooth stepper. What is more frustrating is seeing so many people have gone before me and managed to make it happen, get it working. I must be stupid or something. arggghhhhhh.

Just to note i am using Mach3 demo but I am only jogging. Should be able to do 500 lines of code.

Will update if anything changes.

Peace......Deep breath.............

Hayden

flip the step and dir numbers. You may have them reversed.