585,752 active members*
3,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cnc machine diagonal motion

hi every1 !!! i am making my own 2 axis cnc machine.....i am usin G00 command like we take an example

G00x03y05

so according to this statement our both motors (motor x and motor y ) will move simultaneously so that there will be a diagonal motion of the tool ..........and the angle of that diagonal path will depend on the speed of the motor x and motor y.if both motors will have same speed and same direction then the angle of diagonal path would be 45 degree bt if different then the angle would be other than 45 degree.

i wanna ask a question that what would be the relation(formula) between the speed of motor x and motor y and the angle of diagonal path.i need a general formula.

plz help me out!!

Re: cnc machine diagonal motion

You might be over-thinking this a bit. What you've got above is a rapid command - you wouldn't be cutting with that, so the speeds would be limited only by the max velocity of the respective motors, although the angle would be whatever angle is between the point where you started and where you finish. Instead, if you're actually cutting, you'd use a G01 command with the F-word: G01X3Y5F20 - that will send the tool (at 20 units per minute) in a straight line from the start point to the finish point at X3, Y5. The motors won't necessarily go at the same speed, but the trajectory planner in the motion control software you're using (Mach3?) will calculate how fast each one has to go to keep the line straight and the tool moving at the right speed.
    Andrew Werby
    Website