585,898 active members*
5,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Automate Pause / Resume of NC Program

Is it possible to automate a Pause and Resume?
    I would think inserting an M01 would Pause the program, but how to automate the Resume?
    Perhaps the CNC Machine tools PLC could initiate the command???

Thanks in Advance,

td

Re: Automate Pause / Resume of NC Program

I guess we would need to first know what is the reason for the pause. There are a couple of ways to initiate the pause... M00, M01 are common. Of course there is G04 Xx where you indicate a time period, but some controls put limits on just how long that period can be.

Another way is to be set up such to be monitoring an input line, where, a different device, axis, assembly line function or machine signals the machine to pause running the code.
    These are often called monitor and wait functions. With these, your usually set also to re-start running when the same or different input line is triggered from an outside source, perhaps the same outside source that stopped motion.

There is no limit as to how many different ways you could accomplish this.... I mean really, with todays controls, you could have the machine call your cell phone to leave a pre-recorded message that the machine stopped, and that you should send a text back when you want it to continue.

I think if you can tell us why your pausing it, we should be able to figure out when and how you might want to restart it.
    Chris L

Hi Chris,

Thanks for such a prompt response. I am nesting parts on a blank strip for a CNC punch. The CAM package looks to see how to gain best material utilization. For sake of discussion let's assume five (5) parts in a 10' blank. The nested NC program comprises the five (5) parts. I need to pause the program after a part is hit with the parting (shear) tool. This will allow the now finished part to continue for downstream processing. We can not have a second part produced until this part has been physically removed from the machine. We have a prox switch to sense that a part has completed and is ready for retrieval. Once this switch is cleared (part removed) the NC program is free to resume. Make sense?

Thx - td

PS - I like the cell phone texting approach, we could get a teen to do this

Well, you indicate you already have an indicator of sorts when the machine can resume in that Proximity Sensor you mention. So, that alone should do it, IF you can interface into your existing CNC control.

You did not indicate what control your machine has, but you will need to dig around in documentation to see if it has a WAIT state function. Flashcut controls for example, allows you to use a single command in your G-code to do this. You would either install an M100 or M101 with additional perameters right behind it that would indicate what input line it was waiting to hear from.

So, if you can intercept your existing proximity switches state and monitor it for use with such a command, your problem is solved.

If your current Prox is doing something else, you likely can intercept it and convert it if need be to Normally open or Normally closed with a relay.
    Chris L