584,861 active members*
4,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

First V Carve

Well here is my first shot at V carving. I think I am going to like this. The wood is Ash. I do not think this carves very well. I need. to find something better. Stained but no paint yet and not sanded. It was supposed to cut at .007 but I think it is deeper. I used a 1/16 Flat EM and a 30 degree V bit. It took about 45 minutes. It is on a 5.5 X 12 piece of ash. The engraved part is 5X8.In some places the wood chipped away.

Don

PS : This is also after a reinstall of Windows and Bobcad.
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Re: First V Carve

Is the problem that it was cut deeper than you expected? If so, are you sure tools / setup was correct before starting?

hkenuam

You're right about the wood being an issue. Brittle woods are much more subject to tearout, such as you got there. Using harder and less brittle woods can help a lot. Oak generally works very well. It's fibrous, but very tough, and not brittle at all. Looks like you did a fine job converting your geometry over to suit Vcarve's needs. You might try it as a negative cut, rather than raised, just to see how that looks. Once you get going, Vcarving is indeed addictive.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

hkennuam yes it looks to be deeper then I thought .007 would be. I have not tried to measure it yet.

Trotline I am going to try some other woods. I am going to Crosscut Lumber here in Seattle . It is near me and they have a good selection at good prices. So I will get a piece of Oak , Maple and Cherry to try.

I did notice that my Router RPM may be set to low. When the pocket cut was finished I noticed curly cues of wood wrapped around the bit. I was set at 10,000 rpm next I will try 15,000 rpm.

Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Yeah, you want to use the highest RPM that you can get away with. As the V-bit tapers down to the tip, the diameter decreases, so even though it's all turning at the same RPM, the tip has a much lower effective cutting speed than the upper part of the tool. I generally run at 20-24,000 RPM with smaller bits. If it's not scorching at the top of the cut, you'll be fine.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

OK I will go to 20,000. Luna launcher ready look out moon. LoL

Don