584,800 active members*
4,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NcStudio steppers not responding

Last year I purchased a chinese CNC 6090, I have been very happy with it.
    It is running NcStudio. Now after it finished a job i started the computer and router but I cannot move the the axes, the spindle is responding to my commands, start ramp up, ramp Down and off. But none of the steppers will move.
    I have attempted to move them in the manual display and starting different programs.
    Really hope it is solveable.

Kind Regards
    Tonny

Re: NcStudio steppers not responding

I've had this exact same problem occur twice with mine. I checked the cables, everything, but no idea. The only thing i could put it down to at the time was that even for winter it was unusually cold for us on the two occasions. And there was a lot of moisture around. I was preparing to start opening things up after leaving it a couple of days, and it came good. I don't think I have any wiring problems as I do run my machine quite a lot, but I have also had a couple of times that it's powered up in a funny state, which after shutting it all down, and pulling the mains on it, and leaving it sit a few minutes, it was fine.

My garage does get more moist breezes blowing through than it should, so the times the steppers wouldn't engage I do believe were because of the cold snap and moisture at the time, as when it was several degrees warmer it was fine.

For my own piece of mind though I think I'll re-wire the steppers anyway when I have some free time as it has done a huge amount of hours. Mine's been in service for around 3 years now btw, and I love it! Best investment ever!

Given the cavity for the electronics is so big, I am toying with the idea of putting a really small low powered ceramic heater inside it to "pre-warm" a little closer to ambient temp, and to get rid of any moisture in there before powering it all up.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Hi Tonny.
    It seems we have the same problem. My chinese router have been working pretty well since 2 years. But yesterday I satrted the router, opened ncstudio ; the spindles turns well in command but it don't move in any axis. I changed the 14 pin relay that seemed to be burnt, but no thing happened. If you have a solution from anybody,, please share it with me.

Kind regards
    Bivegele

Hi Bivegele, I never got around to rewiring the machine as it has been amazingly reliable.

The issues I had with the machine starting up in a funny state I now suspect were possibly due to mains power fluctuations, as we used to get fairly wide ranges on mains.

If your machine is the same as mine, unlike most powered devices it doesn't use a switched mode power supply, but instead has a very simple toroid/bridge rectifier step down from mains to approx 48VDC. A few years back I ended up putting a UPS in place which smooths the mains, and since then I have had no issues at all.

It could be that on occasion your mains is a bit higher, which once converted to DC may be outside the input power range of the drivers so they either go into a funny state or fail?

Have you any means to determine if that is the case?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Thanks for your kind reply.
    Since my firts post, situation ahce changed.
    Now I have control on X axis but Y axis moves right but very very slowly; z axis also and additionnally it only moves up, and actually it caused a problem of limit swithch taht cannont be solved since the spindle can't go down ??!!!
    I'm in a deep trouble. Heeeeeeeelp!

I have replaced the switched mode power supply that was dead by a new one and it helped me to have control on x axis. But as I said earlier, y axis move right but VERY slowly, and so is the Z axis that additionnally moves only up.

Hi bro.
    I finally found taht the nc studio card delivered only 3.5 v to the machine and replaced it. All the axis behave nively.
    Just a little problem. when a make an engraving test, I loose footsteps. Somebody told me me about magnetic interference between the power supply and the Controller that are close in the control box. What to do ?