585,914 active members*
3,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Help Needed From Bridgeport 412 Owners Please
Page 1 of 2 12

Help Needed From Bridgeport 412 Owners Please

Could some kind sole with a 412 please have a look on the plug connector that goes on to the proximity switch on the top of the tool changer and possibly give me the makers name and part no for the plug connector as i need to order 2 spares (if i can still get hold of them) as Hardinge Bridgeport in the UK are about as helpfull as a chocolate fire guard and tell me that they dont have these anymore and wont tell me where they used to get them.
    I cant make out the writing on my connectors as its just about all worn off.
    Also,if anyone knows the makers name and part no for the proximity switch as well then this would be a great help as the last one i bought cost me an arm and a leg and when i went to order 2 more spares (for future use) all i got was the run around and they couldnt be bothered.
    If anyone needs the full manual for the 412 with fanuc OM control then drop me a message and ill send you a copy as Hardinge Bridgeport charged me £40 for the privelage on this.

cheers
    jay

Re: Help Needed From Bridgeport 412 Owners Please

I'm looking at buying a 412 here soon. Overall for an older machine do you like it?

Cool Re: Help Needed From Bridgeport 412 Owners Please

For the price I paid for it I'm happy....lol.
    It does what I need it to do but when you've used newer machines and are used to running at high speeds and feeds it's a bit of a pain when you have to slow jobs down because the bridgeport is of past technology shall we say.
    Mine will hold tolerance but on some jobs with small rads etc or pocketing a hole you have to slow right down which isn't to much of a problem but I know I could do the same job on a haas three times as fast but I didn't have haas money at the time.
    If your just pottering about or cash is a problem it will get you on your way but if you have a bigger budget then just buy a haas bud.
    Over the years iv had a few problems with it which is to be expected so iv learnt a thing or two on what needs to be done to get it running again so I'm always here to help if need be but be warned not to use coolant with micro oil partials and go for something with bigger partials like milky white cheap coolant because the spindle seals are not that good and the finer stuff gets past them and blows the bearings.

Jay

Thanks for the help. I'm picking it up for a pretty good deal, and as you said just looking to get me going making a few parts. No haas budget yet! Parts still available?

The control parts shouldn't be a problem and neither should the motors and bearings etc but you might start hitting problems when it comes to stupid things like what I'm looking for in this post yet the switches are still available it's just the plugs.
    Bearings and suck can be matched and most of the brackets etc can be made or repaired.
    The most common problems with them are the tool changer especially the Geneva drive but a I did was weld the worn shaft up and re machined it down to remove the play that had developed.
    Might pay to keep your eyes open for spares and stock up to save hassle in the future as things get harder to find and you should be fine.

What control is on the one your getting and what's the max spindle speed?

Attachment 245098Attachment 245100

Spindle speed unknown as of yet. Heideman controller? 1987, the guy says it has a 20 tool changer carosel, but he also listed the year as 1980 when it's an 87 on the data plate.

Never seen a 20 pot changer as most where 12 pot but that doesn't mean to say there isn't a 20 pot.
    Mines a 1986 model with Fanuc OM which I prefer with 4k spindle but they did do a 8k and 12k spindle and I think a 6k but that's just down to changing the spindle pulley etc and using the same motor for the lower rpm spindles but the 12k spindle needed better bearings and a few other items if I remember right.

Will mastercam work ok for programming? Also what's needed to feed it info from a PC?

My shop is single phase only, so a phase converter will also be in my future.

I spotted TNC 151 on the controller panel.

make sure you get a good rotary phase converter, I know having that 3rd generated leg being of good quality is important to Interact Machines, and Heidenhain controls specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Will mastercam work ok for programming? Also what's needed to feed it info from a PC?
    MasterCAM is great if you have the $$$ for it. You'll need an RS232 null modem cable and download TNCRemo from the Heidenhain site to send files and drip feed files.

What's defined as good. If there branded for "cnc use" than they should be good correct? Tnc Remo free?

TNC Remo is a free download from the Heidenhain site. See this thread for possible Rotary Phase converter issues/discussion http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...converter.html I've never had a problem as I have 480V 3ph in my shop, but have read that others experience issues on occasion.

I was looking at something like a 20hp converter. I read 3 times the largest motors is a really safe bet.

Help Needed From Bridgeport 412 Owners Please

Can this be moved with a pallet jack, granted I have one heavy duty enough, just around the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Can this be moved with a pallet jack, granted I have one heavy duty enough, just around the shop?
    you may be able to use a pallet jack, but I'm not sure what the casting looks like underneath. skates would definitely work though.

When I disconnect power to this thing does anything special need to be done prior to moving it? Parameters recorded, etc etc?

I found a video of a company moving one with a forklift online so I'm going to monkey see monkey do it off this video, not really rocket science.

California Machinery Movers Going For Gold with Bridgeport Interact - YouTube

Also, as far as supporting the z axis head with a block of wood or something, does anything else need to be done prior to hitting the highway. Does this machine have somewhere that straps or chains can be attached?

If you know where to find the official manual, let me know . If you have it, take a peak at the moving section for me

if you don't have any rigging experience, I highly suggest finding someone that does in order to prevent severe bodily injury/death and property damage. Moving around 3 tons isn't hard for people trained to do so, but it can be outright deadly for those who do not.

Page 1 of 2 12