585,763 active members*
4,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Need to read voltages

We have a rolling machine that we recently retrofitted with CamSoft, and we have everything done BUT the linear and rolling encoders and our speed control. Our linear and rotary encoders are potentiometers as is our speed control, our problem is that neither we nor CamSoft know why the computer is not reading the voltages. When we check with a multimeter, we can see the voltages changing, but the program is saying it is zero. My question is how do you program it to read the voltages and how do you set it up on setup.exe? Our io is GraphicalOI, we have a ICM-2900, a black analog IO box, and a CS18320. If anyone knows how to do it or just has screenshots of their settings it would help greatly.

Re: Need to read voltages

Josh,

Something is a mis here. You would use the analog input box to read voltages. The box was checked here before shipping. All 4 analog input channels are working. There is pre-written logic in the CBK to read from this box and the 4 analog voltages are saved in variables \411,\412,\413,\414

The problem could be a simple wiring or power issue. You can send us a LOGFILE.FIL file and we can check out what is happening.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    [email protected]
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    PC Based CNC Control For The Machine Tool CNC Retrofit And CNC Controller OEM Market
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I retrofitted an Italian rolling machine and used quadrature encoders for feedback, this way a rate can be programmed by the operator?
    For manual operation, the jog mode is used.
    Galil used, but not Camsoft, but that should not make a difference?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I don't quite understand what you mean Al, do you mean you went through Galil instead? This is on the programming side, we need to be able to just rea But the machine we retrofitted is an Eagle BPR roller from Italy, is your one similar?

I used a Galil card with a custom operator interface.
    See post 2 here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad...-supplies.html
    I don't recall the Italian manuf as I am not in the shop right now.
    But it was purely programmable as far as auto was concerned, in manual it was just jog joy switches.
    But it sounds as though you have pots to set the auto speed?
    Al.

Albert E.

There is a main speed control for the pots that is a 5k potentiometer that right now we do not have connected to the computer to read its voltage, but it is connected to the machine and it runs. What I need to know is how to take in the voltages from this analog box and view them on the computer, it is the way the camsoft coding is set up is where I am confused. I read the manual and contacted camsoft and still the computer displays no voltages. Attached is a screenshot of the setting I have on camsoft's program and a link to the actual program

Attachment 245502Attachment 245502

Simple File Sharing and Storage.

You have the galil 1832 card. This economy card doesn't do analog voltages. So, what Al is talking about won't work for you.

I'm sure that's why you have a separate analog input device. I've not used this device, but the screen shots you have are for configuring the Galil analog inputs.

I'm guessing here, but I think you need to configure Camsoft to read analog inputs separately. The fine techs at Camsoft should know this.

Hind sight is always 20/20 but things would work way better with a standard Galil card.

I'll do some manual reading tonight to see what I can learn about configuration of separate analog input devises.

Karl

Thank you guys both, for the past couple days I have been going back and forth with CamSoft, but nothing is moving along. I tried here as a last chance kinda thing, and hopefully we can put our heads together and figure it out

I have this file labeled RS232 analoginput.rtf in my AS3000\help directory.

A little light reading for you.

Karl

RS232 Analog Input/Output Modules

CamSoft’s RS232 Analog input/output solutions currently consist of two options: CamSoft ND Series solutions and our CSA Series solutions. Both are robust options for various analog input/output applications. Both series of analog solutions use the standard RS-232 communications port on the computer to read or send out up to 10 volts.

CamSoft’s ND Series Analog Solutions

The RS-232 analog input/output modules use the standard RS-232 communications port on the computer to read or send out ±10 vdc voltage.

To accomplish this, the RS232 signal is first converted to RS-485. Refer to Part No. ND-6520 (RS-232 to RS-485) Converter:

Before connecting the analog modules to the RS-485 network, each module must be reconfigured to have a unique ID address. By default every new module has the same address (01). Hence, if you are only using one analog module, it is ready to use. However, if you have more than one, you must setup each module to the ND-6520 (Converter) individually and run that module’s configuration command to set the address. You can use the Analog Module Administration Utility or your CamSoft software to set these.

Wiring Connections to the ND-6017 and ND-6520 Modules

(1) Connect the provided 12V DC power supply to the terminals labeled (R)+Vs and (B)GND on both modules.

(2) Connect the (Y)DATA+ terminals on each module together.

(3) Connect the (G)DATA- terminals on each module together.

(4) Connect the 9-pin RS232 serial cable or the USB extension cable to the PC.

(5) To read analog voltages on each of the 8 analog inputs, connect the Minus- to AGND terminal and Plus+ to any of the Vn#+ terminals 0-7.

The ND-6520 device is the heart of the RS-485 chain of modules. It sends the digital data across the chain to each module. This device does not need to be configured for anything other than factory default.

Step (1)
    Connect the 9-pin serial cable between this device and the computer’s COMM Port.

Step (2)
    You must supply power to the ND-6520 and all other analog devices.
    Note: If you only have one analog module, the mini AC/DC adapter power supply is adequate. However, if you have more than one analog module, then use Part No. NDP-243

Step (3)
    Refer to the analog module documentation for all wiring and configuration for the RS-485 chain.

For an RS-485 to communicate between all modules, only two (2) terminals are needed on the converter -- the (Y)DATA+ and (G)DATA- terminals. The TX+, TX-, RX+, RX- terminal connections are not used in an RS-485 network. Rather, these are for an RS-422 network.

Step (4)
    Insert or customize the logic required for analog input or output.

Use the COMMFILE.FIL file to trap and check for any return codes and incoming data. The COMMFILE.FIL file is event driven and whenever an analog module sends data to the COMM Port, this file will automatically execute any logic in the file.

Brief Explanation of Logic Commands Used

COMMSETUP: Use this command to open the COMM Port for use.
    Example to insert in the STARTUP.FIL file:
    COMMSETUP 1;9600;N;8;1
    For CNC Lite/CNC Plus or Graphical OI precede any command with an ! mark.

COMMSETUP OFF: Use this command to close the COMM Port when not in use.
    Example:
    COMMSETUP OFF

COMMIN: Use this command in the COMMFILE.FIL file to read the data coming into the COMM Port.
    Example:
    COMMIN \55;

COMMOUT: Use this command to send data to the analog modules.
    Example:
    COMMOUT \1

Note: Whenever a COMMOUT command is issued, the analog modules will send a response back to the COMM Port stating either an error, success or a requested value. Use the COMMFILE.FIL file and the COMMIN \55 to trap for these responses.

Logic Examples for COMMIN:

The COMMFILE.FIL File

COMMIN \55; ‘ The last parameter ; is important.
    ‘See special consideration for > character.
    MIDSTR \55;1;1;\56
    IF\56=>THEN EXIT ‘everything okay command received
    IF\56=!THEN EXIT ‘everything okay command received
    IF\56=?THEN GOTO :ERROR
    ’Any other special logic here.
    EXIT

:ERROR
    MIDSTR \55;2;999;\58
    MESSAGE INVALID COMMAND OR SYNTAX ERROR!
    MESSAGE ERROR AT MODULE# \58
    ’Any other special logic here.
    EXIT

Logic Examples for COMMOUT:

Place in either the MCode.FIL, GCode.FIL or MACRO.FIL files

‘Use this for sending analog output only
    ’Output example: #0110.000<CR>
    ’After the command is sent, the response can be read in the
    ‘COMMFILE.FIL file logic.
    HEXCHAR 23;\1 ‘# character
    \2=01 ‘Module address number
    \3=10.000 ‘+10 volts
    HEXCHAR 0D;\4 ‘ <CR> character
    COMMOUT \1\2\3\4

’Use this for requesting analog input voltages only
    ’After the command is sent, the response can be read in the
    ‘COMMFILE.FIL file logic.
    ’Output example: #01<CR>
    HEXCHAR 23;\1 ‘ # character.
    HEXCHAR 0D;\4 ‘ <CR> character.
    \2=01 ‘Module address number.
    COMMOUT \1\2\4

The eight-channel analog input module (ND-6017) needs an extra parameter when requesting analog voltages. Each channel has an address 0-7. Use the same example above for requesting voltages; however, add the channel number you want to read the voltage from.

Example:

Same as above; however, add the analog channel as the third parameter
    \3=0 ’This would be the first analog channel
    COMMOUT \1\2\3\4

Notes and Special Considerations

Please refer to the analog module documentation for all command usage and syntax to be used with the COMMOUT command.

Errors When Launching the Program

If you receive a system error after installing the Analog Module Administration Utility or when launching the CamSoft software, then you will need to run the SETUP.EXE program in the UPDATE directory on the CamSoft installation CD to update the Microsoft drivers. Reboot the computer when instructed to after updating and then you should be able to run both programs (CamSoft and the Admin Utility) on the same computer.

Special Characters to Send to the Analog Modules
    # Leading character for analog in/out commands.
    $ Leading character for all other inquiries (ND-6021/ND-6017).
    @ Leading character for all other inquiries (ND-6017 only).
    % Leading character for module setup and configuration
    ~ Leading character for special commands
    <CR> Carriage return is ending character for all commands.

Special Characters Returned by the Analog Modules
    ! Return character that states “Valid Command Received”
    ? Return character that states “Invalid Command Error Received”
    > Return code to acknowledge that a valid analog in/out command was received. May also contain voltage value.

Special Consideration for the # Character
    Since this character already has a specific function in the CamSoft software as an I/O designation character, the HEX value needs to be converted to ASCII for it to work. 23 is the HEX value of the # character.
    Use the following code to convert the HEX value.
    HEXCHAR 23;\1 ‘This converts the hex value to ASCII and stores it into \1.

Special Consideration for the <CR> (Carriage Return) Character
    The HEX value of this character needs to be converted for it to work.
    0D is the HEX value of the <CR> character. Use the following code to convert the HEX value.
    HEXCHAR 0D;\4 ‘This converts the hex value to ASCII and stores it into \4.

Special Consideration for the > Character
    The > character has special meaning in the COMMFILE.FIL file. By default, when this character is seen by the COMMFILE.FIL file, the command that follows is treated as a logic command (refer to the COMMIN command for details) and is immediately executed. However, since the analog input/output modules use the > character as a response for a successful command being sent, we have to use an optional second parameter in the COMMIN command to distinguish between a command and just a response from the modules.
    Example:
    ‘The second parameter ( disables the default action of the >.
    ‘Use this method when communicating with the analog modules.
    COMMIN \55;

Special consideration is needed if you are using a CamSoft stepper box with these analog modules. Make sure the computer has (2) 9-pin COMM Ports - one for the stepper box and one for the modules.

Special consideration is needed to setup the COMM Port settings for the computer using the Windows Device Manager program on the Start/Control Panel menu choice.

CamSoft’s CSA Series Analog Solutions

The CSA series analog modules communicate with the host computer through RS232.

Step (1)
    Connect the 9-pin serial cable between the device and the computer’s COMM Port. The default port used in CamSoft’s prewritten logic is COMM 1. However, this can be changed to meet application requirements.

Step (2)
    You must supply power to the CSA devices.

The digital I/O module requires +8 to +30 volts dc. Use the power connector supplied by CamSoft to connect to your computer’s +12 vdc power. The jumper labeled “Power Source” on the module must be jumpered to “EXT” for external power. Connect power to jumper terminal J3 + and - connections. Make sure to observe polarity.

The analog output module requires a voltage in the range of +15 to +30 volts. Use the +15 volt power supply provided by CamSoft. The jumper labeled “Power Source” on the module must be jumpered to “EXT” for external power. Connect power to jumper terminal J3 + and - connections. Make sure to observe polarity.

The analog input module requires +8 to +30 volts dc. Use the power connector supplied by CamSoft to connect to your computer’s +12 vdc power. The jumper labeled “Power Source” on the module must be jumpered to “EXT” for external power. Connect power to jumper terminal J3 + and - connections. Make sure to observe polarity.

Step (3)

You must decide on which cards you want to use.

The digital I/O module is either all inputs or all outputs. There are 14 I/O per board. They work off 5V signal logic and can sink or source up to 25mA.

The analog output module provides 4 unipolar or bipolar output channels. Connections are made to phoenix-type connectors on the module. The first analog output is labeled A+. The next is A-. Due to limited space you will see the actual label as “+A-“. There are four of these labels -- A through D.

The analog input module provides eight single ended input channels. Connections are made to the phoenix-type connectors on the module. The connections are labeled 1 through 8. The common connection or ground is made to the terminal labeled “COM”. The input voltage must be in the range of +/- 4 volts. It is possible to connect 10 volts as long as limiting resistors are used to scale the voltage at the input to 4 volts. See figure below.

Step (4)
    Insert the logic required for analog input or output. The prewritten logic routines for the analog modules are in the MACRO.MAC file. You can insert the required macros from this file to your existing setup using the CNCSETUP program for CNC Professional or the SETUP program for CNC Lite/CNC Plus. Insert the following macros.

[[CSA_MOD_RESPONSE]]
    [[CSA_MOD_SENDCOMMAND]]
    [[ANALOG_IN_INIT]]
    [[CSA_MOD_COMM_END]]
    [[CSA_MOD_COMM_INIT]]
    [[ANALOG_OUT_INIT]]
    [[READ_VOLTAGE]]
    [[SAVE_VOLT_VALUES]]
    [[VOLTAGE_OUT]]
    [[SAVE_INPUT_STATES]]
    [[HEXCHARTOBIN]]
    [[DIO_IN_INIT]]
    [[DIO_OUT_INIT]]
    [[SET_OUTPUT]]
    [[READ_INPUTS]]

Step (5)
    Follow step 5 for digital I/O, analog inputs and analog outputs.

Edit the “STARTUP.FIL” file and call the [CSA_MOD_COMM_INIT] macro. Defaulted to COMM Port 1. Change as needed.

Edit the “STARTUP.FIL” file to call the macro needed to initialize the type of module being used:

[DIO_IN_INIT] to initialize digital input
    [DIO_OUT_ INIT] to initialize digital output
    [ANALOG_IN_INIT] to initialize analog inputs
    [ANALOG_OUT_INIT] to initialize analog outputs

Edit the “SHUTDOWN.FIL” file and call the [CSA_MOD_COMM_END] macro.

Edit the “COMMFILE.FIL” file and call the [CSA_MOD_RESPONSE] macro after the COMMIN command.

Example:

COMMIN \55
    [CSA_MOD_RESPONSE]

Step (6)

Examples:

Read In a Voltage Using the Analog Input Module

For example: Create a user button, timer file or logic routine to call the [READ_VOLTAGE] macro to gather the voltages. When variable \611 returns with a 0, then the voltages have been stored to variables \411 thru \418 for each analog channel 1 through 8. If an error occurs, then variable \601 contains an error message.

Send a Voltage Out Using the Analog Output Module

For example: Create a user button, timer file or logic routine to call the [VOLTAGE_OUT] macro to send a voltage. Before sending voltage out, set variable \600 to the required voltage: -10 to +10. Use variable \604 to set the channel for each analog channel 1 through 4 (A, B, C or D). If an error occurs, then variable \601 contains an error message.

Set a Digital Output using the Digital Output Module

For example: Create a user button, timer file or logic routine to call the [SET_OUTPUT] macro to set digital output state. Use variable \607 to set output to set (1 through 14). Use variable \608 to set on (1) or off (0)

Read a Digital input using the Digital input Module

For example: Create a user button, timer file or logic routine to call the [READ_INPUTS] macro to read digital input states. Variables \451 through \464 are set to state of input. Variables are set to either 1 if ON or 0 if OFF.

Brief Explanation of Logic Macros Used

[[CSA_MOD_RESPONSE]]
    This macro must be called from the “COMMIN.FIL” file. The macro captures responses that are coming back from the analog modules. Voltages are saved to variables 411 through 418, where \411 is the voltage from the first analog input and \412 is the second analog input and so on.

[[CSA_MOD_SENDCOMMAND]]
    This macro is used by the [READ_VOLTAGE] and [VOLTAGE_OUT] macros. There is no need to call this macro directly. However, this macro can be used to send one of the analog module’s native commands to the module.

[[ANALOG_IN_INIT]]
    Call this macro to initialize the analog input module. Typically this macro can be called from the “STARTUP.FIL” file after the [CSA_MOD_COMM_INIT] macro has been called.

[[CSA_MOD_COMM_END]]
    Call this macro to end communications with the analog module and release the COMM Port. Typically this macro is called from the “SHUTDOWN.FIL” file. However, it may be called from anywhere within the software.

[[CSA_MOD_COMM_INIT]]
    Call this macro to initialize your computer COMM Port for RS232 communications. The default COMM Port is COM1. Edit this macro if you need to change communication parameters. Typically this macro should be called from the “STARTUP.FIL” file but it can be called from anywhere within the program. However, this macro should be called before any other macro is called to make sure the COMM Port is setup. Use the [CSA_MOD_COMM_END] macro to free the COMM Port.

[[ANALOG_OUT_INIT]]
    Call this macro to initialize the analog output module. Typically this macro can be called from the “STARTUP.FIL” file after the [CSA_MOD_COMM_INIT] macro has been called.

[[READ_VOLTAGE]]
    Call this macro to read in analog voltages on the analog input module. Analog voltages read will be saved to variables 411 through 418. Variable \601 holds the complete response sent back from the module. This macro can be called at anytime after the analog module has been initialized by calling [CSA_MOD_COMM_INIT] AND [ANALOG_IN_INIT].

[[SAVE_VOLT_VALUES]]
    This macro is used by the [CSA_MOD_RESPONSE] macro. There is no need to call this macro directly. Voltages are saved to variables 411 through 418, where \411 is the voltage from the first analog input and \412 is the second analog input and so on.

[[VOLTAGE_OUT]]
    Call this macro to set an analog voltage for output on the analog output module. This macro uses two variables to set the voltage value and channel. Variable \600 is used to set voltage. Variable \604 is used to set channels 1 through 4 as A, B, C or D. Set values for both these variables before calling this macro. Also, the analog module should be initialized before calling this macro with the [CSA_MOD_COMM_INT] and [ANALOG_OUT_INIT] macros. This macro can be called from anywhere within the software.

Example:
    \600=5.5 ‘set voltage value needed
    \604=A ‘Analog output A
    [VOLTAGE_OUT]

[[SAVE_INPUT_STATES]]
    Calls a macro to decode and save input state values. Variable \451 through \464 are set to state of input. Variables are set to 1 if ON or 0 if OFF.

[[HEXCHARTOBIN]]
    Calls a macro to decode hex characters into binary string.

[[DIO_IN_INIT]]
    Sets up the Digital Input board.

[[DIO_OUT_INIT]]
    Sets up the Digital Output board.

[[SET_OUTPUT]]
    Sets a Digital Output state on or off. Use variable \607 to set output to set (1 through 14). Use variable \608 to set on (1) or off (0).

[[READ_INPUTS]]
    Reads all digital inputs. Variables \451 through \464 are set to state of input. Variables are set to either 1 if ON or 0 if OFF.

Sending Native Command Strings to the Analog Modules

The CamSoft macros will automatically handle all communications. However, if you do not care how these work internally, then stop reading here.

The command string consists of ASCII characters. The first position character denotes the module address. By default this is setup as “A”. The next position is the command. The command is module specific. For the output module a “V” denotes voltage out. The next position is command specific. For the output module with the “V” command, the next character indicates which channel to output from. This can be a character “A-D”. The parameter after the channel is the voltage required and the string must be terminated with a carriage return character. Here is an example command string for the analog output module: “AVA500”

For the input module, an “S” indicates to read single ended inputs. The next character position indicates which channel to read. To read all channels, nothing is sent and so all channels are returned. The string must be terminated with a carriage return character. Here is an example command string for the analog input module: “AS”

Special Characters Returned by the Analog Modules
    ! Return character that states a reset has occurred”

Special consideration is needed if you are using a CamSoft stepper box with these analog modules. Make sure the computer has (2) 9-pin COMM Ports - one for the stepper box and one for the modules.

Special consideration is needed to setup the COMM Port settings for the computer using the Windows Device Manager program on the Start/Control Panel menu choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    You have the galil 1832 card. This economy card doesn't do analog voltages. So, what Al is talking about won't work for you.

Karl
    Not sure I understand, I did not use any analogue inputs at all?
    Al.

Albert E.

I read through what you wrote Karl, there is a marco on the program called [SAVE_VOLT_VALUES], however I cannot seem to get that one to work either. The \411-\418 variables stay at 0, but I do see \618 (or whichever the pointer is, I forget at this moment) changing between 1 and 0. As I said before, we are seeing voltage differences with a multimeter, but the computer cannot. Bill at CamSoft is telling us that when it shipped from them it worked, but we had issues with that on another item. According to Bill, the black box should be blinking every second, because it is being accessed, however it only blinks when starting up. Do either of you know why this black box is not working?

I haven't used this piece of hardware. I can only offer my procedure for problem solving. Divide the problem in two, in this case, hardware or software?
    Once you answer that, ask again is it this or that? Keep going till you're done.

I'd first try low level file IO, is it even getting to the computer at all. There's got to be a register address.

Sorry I can't be more help. Is it too late for you to get the correct galil card??

Karl

P.S. I've learned if you keep to the facts, the Camsoft folks are GREAT Ask them how to do low level file IO if you don't know how.

I talked to Bill at CamSoft and he said that they do not do low-level file IO. Here's a quick background on me, I am 20 years old going to school for computer science, I just finished a class on OOP for C++, so I know how to do regular File IO. Is there a way you could show me what I need to do to for the low level file IO or somewhere you could direct me to so that I can learn it?

I suggest you download the manual if you don't have it and talk to the Galil direct using the free Terminal program from Galil.
    It will show you all the low level commands and what they do, and get a feel for how the Galil communicates.
    Do you really need pots with this machine? Even if you substitute incremental encoders and do all the commands though Camsoft?
    Al.

Albert E.