Hi all, I have bought a non working Sodick BF275 wire edm on a whim "because I could" with some vauge idea of using it to make some parts for projects after some encouragement from a friend, sure plenty have been there before. Ive been told a tech diagnosed the transformer at fault but I doubt the nec pc98 is going to boot and read its system disks etc but I have a fairly strong it background in quite a lot of computer stuff apart from pc's and am aware how different a pc98 machine is.
Its just turned up on a wagon and I've unloaded it and put it in the corner of the shop for now, so the enormity of what I've taken on is still sinking in a bit. If anyone finds this from a search looking for details to ship their own, it weighed off at 1700kgs on the scales dry with no fluids.

I've been through the cabinets, and theres a box of floppy disks labeled up with system disk v1.5 MKiX so I hope they are still readable/bootable from, I have to dig out a pc with a working 3.5 floppy and put linux on it to see though if the disk structure is the same. Long term aim would be to change the nec pc98's drives for the usb adapters as I don't have good memories of floppy reliability from back in the day.

I am trying to get hold of the operator manuals and any circuit diagrams etc which may help with fault diagnosis as currently trying to finish my bridgeport interact conversion to linuxCNC (damn shame that doesn't support wire edm...) before tackling this head on. I rang Sodick in the uk for some specs on shipping weight and the price of actually buying a manual and if system discs were still available, and I don't hold much hope out for the official route after speaking with them. Ive also emailed NDK machine tools in Singapore using their contact form as they list them on their site along with images of the covers of the various manuals for the BF275, but no response a few weeks later.

Wondering if there is any information out there in cnczone land to be had? Thanks in advance if you can help.