584,863 active members*
4,766 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Merge function - climb or unconventional option?

Merge function - climb or unconventional option?

Dcam support. I use the V12 Merge function a lot. I fact it it about 90% used over most any other feature/function. A caveat is that is do not use constant Z height. Thus my cutter path uses both a climb cut and an conventional cut. It is impacting my cutters and chatters up significantly when that pass hit the 'conventional" run each time. Do you have any suggestions? If there is no way yet, Is there any way you can put in another option tab like on some of the other functions as a special request?

A vid w constant Z disabled is included so you can hear how quiet climb cut is -vs- the conventional run on 1045 which is quite still for a hobby mill. If you recall, I wrote a quick how to for dxf import and setups for newbs as I am fairly new to Milling coming over from CNC Plasma setup. So if you have suggestions, I'm all ears.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lbyVvR7eWBw

Thanks Jeff.

Re: Merge function - climb or unconventional option?

Opps. Had one of those "Oh crap I mis-spoke a term" moments ago ! Meant "climb" -vs- "Conventional". Just movin' fast. To me climb just seems normal and conventional, a bit unconventional for the cutting I'm doing. ;-)

Hello,

Yes, we are always looking to improve the product based on users real life situations.

I will put forward a request to the software engineers and see what they say, the one thing I can see is that if you wanted to cut in a single direction - only down or up - then there would be a lot of rapid moves between each cut which would increase the cycle time considerably - but maybe this would not be a problem.

We would need to give some thought as to a "safe" path between the rapid and cut moves, and also how to approach/runoff the cutting moves.

ATB
    Andre

Thank you Andre! If you use Constant Z height mode, it will only cut in one direction and you can set forward or reverse which allows me to cut in the Climb or unconventional So those return rapids and run times are already long (from what I've observed) The feature to run this on Climb note for non-constant Z mode is the feature I am in need of. Simply wanted to clarify that part.

Best,
    Jeffrey.