585,775 active members*
4,047 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > DraftSight 2015 SP3 Cannot Run on Windows XP

DraftSight 2015 SP3 Cannot Run on Windows XP

Well, I found out the hard way.
    I have operated DraftSight V1R5 (or R4 ?) on my Dell laptop under Windows XP for a couple of years perfectly OK.

Then, the backlight on my laptop died, so I added an external HP Compac LE1711 LCD monitor.
    DraftSight display of drawing is now non-existent and funny colored squiggles appear as the cursor moves jerkily across screen
    Acquired and installed the latest monitor driver from HP.
    Every other application on the machine operates fine, DraftSight is the only problem.

So, I thought I would do a re-install, bad mistake.
    I did not keep a copy of the original installation file (yes, kick me).
    The only apparent offering currently available is just labelled as not suitable for Windows XP and I cannot find any sign of an archive for older versions.

Any suggestions ?
    I am just a small hobby user, if this is Dassault Systemes attitude then perhaps it is time to look elsewhere.

John

Re: DraftSight 2015 SP3 Cannot Run on Windows XP

I have a install file from 2012 if you are interested. Maybe Dropbox it. PM me if you are interested. Problem may be it wont open newer files.

Mike

if this is Dassault Systemes attitude then perhaps it is time to look elsewhere.
    There isn't much incentive to try to write modern software to work on a nearly 15 year old operating system. While some basic programs may work, I doubt you'll find any major corporations writing XP compatible software these days.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Mike,
    Thanks for the offer, but I have solved the problem.

ger21,
    I appreciate your comments about developing software.
    It is just that I have been in contact with computers since 1969 with experience of card entry into a mainframe.
    The amount of buggy rubbish code and price gouging I have personally come into contact with (as a user) leaves one a bit jaundiced.
    I am currently waiting to what the reviews of Windows 10 are like, then I will probably get a new laptop.

I searched and found DraftSight V1R4 on the soft32 site.
    Download and install Ok.
    Then DraftSight reports the graphics driver as unstable, and my view of the screen confirmed it.
    Off to Dell, who nicely inspected my machine and provided a new driver which installed OK and everything now runs fine.

But, I have since had 3 reports from my protection of virus threats.
    Could be coincidental, but one wonders just what got loaded from the two sites.

John.