584,805 active members*
5,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3D printing No activity?

With the explosion of interest in 3D printing, I'm really surprised there is no activity in this forum. I for one would be interested to see if anyone is modifying their CNC machines to do FDM printing.

Scott

Re: 3D printing No activity?

What is holding me back is figuring out what I need to control the extruder heater.
    I bought a extruder from a kickstarter project "Qubd" I think.

Mounting it to a plate on my router seems easy enough, as well as mounting a spool holder.
    I just don't know what electronics to use to interface with the extruder stepper and heater.
    I'm sure there are plenty of options out there, it just seems you have to know how to use/program arduinos, which I dont really have any interest in learning.

any cheap ready made solutions out there?

It seems like slicer software is free and available.

Thats my excuse anyways.

Perhaps if you look in the 3D forums a bit further down the column, you might see the activity you're looking for. This is a pretty specific forum set up for Fused Deposition Modeling.

Thanks wendtmk, I completely missed that section.

Scott

Maybe it is the term "Fused Deposition Modeling" that is keeping people away. A lot of people probably don't know that's the technical term for the most common desktop 3D printing machines. It would have been better to just call this thread "3D Printing: plastic extrusion" or something like that.
    "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

Yeah, 3D is so basic and almost pertains to be video reality.....some people think it's a Viewmaster….LOL......I'm also getting into the "additive" machining technology.....thanks for the pointer to the right forum.

BTW, on the topic of naming rights......anyone consider that a gardener is a wheel barrow guidance technician.....very posh if you want to impress your friends with your job status.
    Ian.

Hmmmm…….just browsed the forum for 3D activity and there is not much activity for sure......on the other hand there is a whole load of working activity and reviews on UTUBE.....tons of it actually...….kept me up till 4 AM watching the videos and reviews.....now I know what a 3D printer is and the differences between them.

I seriously think I'm going to roll a bundle at the Creality Ender 3 pro model with the magnetic bed.....Vlad, the reviewer, thinks it's the last word in that size model range...…..currently on EBAY for around A$350 give or take.

OK, so you "could" build one too as it's just a CNC router lookalike but with stuff being fused into a pile to form a work piece, but when you see the models on offer at such ridiculously low prices It makes building one too crude in the end.

One of the big topics is the aspect of used filament and failed part recovery and reuse apart from the aspect of using recycled plastic from other sources.

BUT..... a machine that is quite high on the technology ladder for making filament from scrap is the 3 Devo Composer 450 which is a Dutch design and make going for $7,000...……..gulp, gotta have a couple of those.....LOL…...which is compared to the Felfil Evo model for around $300 but doesn't have a very good review.

You still have to reduce your plastic scrap to small particles in a shredder ….whatever...….and at $20 or so for a reel of filament only a masochist would go down that path.
    Ian.

Just helped my Daughter assemble a Creality Ender 3D printer. She got in on special from Amazon or E-Bay (can't remember now) for about A$300. Wow! No way could you build one yourself for that.

Very well made with accurately made/machined parts. A couple of hours assembly and bingo, printing just like a bought one. Very impressed and if I had the money I'd buy one for myself.

Ran the "dog" model as a supplied test file and about 5.5 hours later - there it was. The detail is impressive.

Next serious/real part was a fan cover for the driver electronics module (the intake fan is above and easy to drop stuff into it. Found the file on one of the freebee forums. Printed, and apart from having to run a drill bit through the screw holes a perfect fit. She printed a cable protector chain link set - wow!

Saving my pennies but I'd like the twin filament model at about twice the price.

Hi, I see you've been bitten by the bug too.....sigh, having browsed UTUBE for countless hours the review on the Ender 3 was impressive, but more so for the ender 3 Pro with the magnetic sheet on the bed for a few dollars more etc.

If you have to ask yourself what you want it for you may as well go back to bed and get a good night's sleep.....it must be one of the most original "I just want it" toys on the market.

So now I'm going to get back to Fusion 360 and see what I can make (of it) ...….probably after I've pawned the family jewels and spent the kid's inheritance once again.

BTW.....on the topic of a twin filament model at mega bucks...….just been looking at a review of a device called the Mosaic Pallete 2 on utube…...that is a thingo that allows you to have multi filament inputs....about 4..... for multi colours and automatically bonds them together into one filament in the....that is any..... machine as the need arises.

Comes at a price of $500......gotta have a couple of those...... but if you're into making things with imbedded colour content then this is a must have item...….I intend to go to Heaven (hopefully) when I go absolutely broke and owing more money than I can print......LOL.
    Ian.

Well, I placed an order for the Ender 3 Pro @ A$328 last Tuesday night and it arrived today 11.00AM Thursday...…….that is an amazingly quick delivery......from NSW down to Dandenong Victoria......sigh, I should have ordered some filament too......back to EBAY.

What I really need for the time being is some 3D project programs without the need to have to learn CAD.....too much time etc etc, but it will eventually be a CAD learning curve for anything I personally want to do but initially I want to just have a ball messing with it......nothing like the smell of melting plastic first thing in the morning.

For the record, I was highly influenced by the review on UTUBE, but most people who used it only had good to say about it as a machine.
    Ian.

Well, a month has gone by and now...…..by George, I think I've got it.

Looking at the UTUBE videos and reviews does make you very aware of the limitations and failure potential if you don't pay attention to detail.

So now I am going to pursue the path of a few mods and firstly do the direct drive mod as shown by various people as I think it will pay dividends by not having problems with the PTFE tube seating on the nozzle.

There is a mod kit from a seller in Canada for the direct drive using the existing extruder mounted on top of the hot end, but even though it is only C$49, the shipping at C$60 puts it out of reach totally.

Basically all it consists of is a piece of CNC milled aluminium plate, some screws, a wire extension for the stepper motor and a spacer piece.....I can make them for a few dollars easily.

I've started buying my "stuff" from AMAZON OZ now instead of EBAY as PAYPAL has restricted my account for no good reason and most if not all sellers on EBAY insist on PAYPAL for the payment....their loss.

AMAZON has a very good refund policy and their delivery is so quick .
    Ian.