584,858 active members*
4,688 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Material Machining Solutions > Stresses in 3/8" Grey Iron Casting causing flatness issues.

Angry Stresses in 3/8" Grey Iron Casting causing flatness issues.

Hello all!
    I am currently setting up a very large timing gear cover, 176 LBS made of grey cast iron. I am not quite sure what the hardness is...I do not believe it has been hardened. I am experiencing problems with the part flexing after milling my 2nd op faces. There is one large face, 1st op. we are taking a total of around .25" of stock off. The inside face, 2nd op. has around .15 that comes off. We have checked a part with only 1st op ran and it is flat, we threw it back on and cut 2nd op and checked it again and it sprung around .01". I am now having to rough both operations and reload the part and finish both operations in order to get the flatness spec we need to hold.

My question is: has anyone experienced this sort of problem machining thin walled cast iron parts? If so, what was the end solution to the correct problem? We are having 10 parts annealed to see if that will rid the casting of unwanted stresses, but I am not holding my breath. Also, we are using a 45 Degree 5" carbide inserted face mill to finish the main,1st op. face. Should we be using coolant on the mill to try and keep heat out of the part? I have also heard suggestions about taking multiple small depth of cut passes at both the 1st op and 2nd op faces. I have been working on this for far too long and it is time to turn to the masses for an opinion....

Thank you,
    Rob

Re: Stresses in 3/8" Grey Iron Casting causing flatness issues.

I have cut a lot of cast iron in my time. Rough both sides before your finish operations.

Stress relieving should help

How old are these castings? Unseasoned cast iron has a lot of stress in it. Annealing will help as it relieves most of the stress from the rapid cooling cycle it had to endure in the mold.
    That said, I too would rough both ops and then finish. I never run coolant on cast iron, so I can't tell if it would help or not.

Stress relieve then like slowlearner said. Let the parts rest overnight between finish cuts.

Dick Z
    DZASTR