586,005 active members*
4,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cutting thin wall tube

G'morning all,
    I'm setting up a small cutting area in my apartment and will be making test items using a dremel bandsaw, it is not a volume production line lol. Being that it's in an apartment I want to make it as particle free as possible also, taking into consideration that steel particles can be hot. the items I will be cutting is hypodermic thin wall tube and some .375.od with a .02 wall
    What I am thinking of doing is using a small vacuum that attaches to the bottom of the saw as well as splitting the hose into two, part A sucks from the bottom and part B is then split into two and goes either side of the lockdown. (It ain't no Picasso) Also I would make the hoses 4' long to allow some cooling to the cut particles.
    My question is, being that I am basically running 3 hoses out of this lil ol vacuum.
    a) am I going to overheat the vacuum.
    b) will I be able to cool the particles down enough so as not to cause a fire in the vacuum.
    Bare with me as this is my first attempt at this type of project and, if you think it's crazy tell me
    Thanks
    gary

Re: cutting thin wall tube

pic doesn't look like a bandsaw - looks like a reciprocating scroll saw. Would not be my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice for cutting thin wall steel tube. when sawing tubing, typically one uses a blade with fine enough pitch to have 3 teeth engaged in the cut at any given time = for a 0.020" wall, that's a blade with ~ .006" pitch (distance between each tooth).
    I'd suggest using Dremel with an abrasive disc like a chop saw. We cut 3/4 OD x .0.030" wall mild steel tube with a regular tubing cutter.
    To answer your question concerning the vac and chip temps - normally, swarf from scroll sawing is not hot enough to melt/burn anything - simply use your vac's narrow tip/hose to catch them. You could fashion guards from cardboard if needed. Seriously, I'd be very careful trying to saw that very thin wall tube in a scroll saw.

Thank you Tom, I should'a asked the question before buying this lil ol scroll saw, Guess I'll be buying the chop saw (shoot). Being that I am doing this in my apartment, I wanna try and catch all particles during the cutting process and the scroll only has an under saw vacuum, I figured that if I attach two smaller hoses to the main hose, and then bring them up to a position slightly above and either side of the cutting blade, they would catch whatever flies that out of the top.
    I also use a tube cutter, I cut to twice the length that I want then, cut in half with the hand tube cutter. My reason is that I am making some tools and the hand tube cutter smooths off the open end, as well as inverts and changes my diameter a little.
    Thanks for the heads up mate
    Gary

I ended up getting a Proton Chop and Miter Saw KGS 80, works great
    Thanks