585,737 active members*
4,529 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > Work Fixtures / Hold-Down Solutions > Vacuum hold down fixtures for job specific parts for aluminum sheets

Vacuum hold down fixtures for job specific parts for aluminum sheets

Hey guys, I'm currently using double sided tape on MDF to hold down my aluminum sheets (0.040-0.050). I run a coolant mist as well to prevent my bits from gumming. While it works great, after a few cuts the MDF begins to soak up the coolant. Also taping the parts down and removing them after parts are cut is getting very tedious. I'd like to switch over to custom vacuum fixtures for each part I cut.

I'm thinking some sort of plastic spoiler board would be the cheapest solution without deteriorating from the coolant. I will need 4-5 sheets of 2'x4' for the various parts I make so I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. Does anyone have some recommendations on what material to use? I also had a link to a company that made the rubber seals for custom fixtures but cant seem to find it. Any references would be great.

Also if any one has pictures of custom vacuum fixtures for job specific parts I'd love to see them!
    Thanks in advance

Re: Vacuum hold down fixtures for job specific parts for aluminum sheets

PVC. You can get it super cheap. not sure where you are but I use interstateplastics.com

Hi,

If you look at my video and go to 23.36 on the timeline it talks about my fixturing process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WQ8...KuFP29flja5aBA

Keep in mind the particular fixture I made had no internal holes and the gasket held the piece of plastic while I engraved it. Alstar Adhesives has a good technical support person that can help you with your particular project. Give them a call.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

thanks for the links and videos! allstar adhesive was exactly the place i was looking for. I talked to Mike and he was very helpful. Just placed an order and gonna give it a try!

Hi,

Your Welcome. I had the same experience with Allstar. That is why I mentioned them in my video. Their customer support is GREAT!

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Hi,

If you look at my video and go to 23.36 on the timeline it talks about my fixturing process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WQ8...KuFP29flja5aBA

Keep in mind the particular fixture I made had no internal holes and the gasket held the piece of plastic while I engraved it. Alstar Adhesives has a good technical support person that can help you with your particular project. Give them a call.

John
    Really helpful video, John. Thanks for making it.

Hi Zorbit,

Thanks for the favorable comment. I made the video to help me remember what I did and how it all works. I am glad it also has helped other people who might be doing one or more of the items I have already done. The router has worked really great with no problems. I can thank my friend Don for helping me will all the electronics. Did exactly what he said to do and it works as advertised. Ha Ha

John

How did you make out with your hold down fixtures??