586,009 active members*
4,742 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > SURFCAM to Unveil 2015 R1 at IMTS
Page 1 of 3 123

SURFCAM to Unveil 2015 R1 at IMTS

New version is coming

Major enhancements in the forthcoming new release of SURFCAM from Vero Software will be on display for the first time in the US, at North America’s largest manufacturing technology exhibition, IMTS, from September 8 to 13.

Visitors to booth E-3114 at the McCormick Place complex in Chicago are being shown how SURFCAM 2015 R1 represents the first in a series of planned steps to dramatically enhance programmer efficiency and provides the foundation for future releases.

SURFCAM General Manager Peter Marton says the 2015 release showcases a new user interface with numerous features designed to improve workflow. New and enhanced functionality includes:
    • Improved in-line toolpath editing
    • A number of time-saving features for geometry and toolpath management
    • Higher levels of user-defined customization.

“We expect our revised user interface, along with the enhanced geometry management, to be of particular interest to visitors, as they provide both visual appeal and demonstrate major process improvements.

“On the roadmap charting SURFCAM’s planned development over the next few releases, 2015 R1 not only introduces game-changing functionality, but also provides a solid foundation for future innovations. SURFCAM 2015 R1 demonstrates why it continues to lead the way in improving productivity and flexibility for manufacturers, increasing their profitability.”
    Source

Re: SURFCAM to Unveil 2015 R1 at IMTS

So what was revealed? Has it been released or still in development? Any YouTube videos showing the new interface? Currently using version 6 from a year or two ago with all its warts. It's 2014 and this program is still stuck in 1996 mode. Hate this thing with a passion but can’t afford to start over with a new program. With the new owners is there any chances of getting an upgrade without paying penalties?

So what was revealed?
    Nothing on net, but I think that was revealed anything at IMTS

Has it been released or still in development?
    Still in development

Any YouTube videos showing the new interface?
    I think not.

It's 2014 and this program is still stuck in 1996 mode.
    Has a new look

Hate this thing with a passion but can’t afford to start over with a new program. With the new owners is there any chances of getting an upgrade without paying penalties?
    Ask your dealer. I'm a user too.

Moldcore, you're still using 6. I upgraded to 2014 R2 and its significantly better than 6. It's definitely more stable....

I may look into it if, and only if they wave the penalties. However, from past experiences the upgrades have been a big disappointment with false promises and return on investment has been close to zero. Everyone's biggest gripe, the interface, was always ignored. I would have traded all the new programming routines over the past 20 years for a decent interface. It was nice to see the company sell the product to someone who actually cares about its future, maybe now something will be done.

You can register on Sneak Peek and see the news on 2015 R1
    Sneak Peek Registration
    I think that starts on September 25

I know about the sneak peak, they sent an email the other day about it. Why do you have to register? They already know my email address. Sounds to me that they are trying to buy time because it’s going to be a while before it’s released. I’ll just wait until it’s officially released in 2015.

What I know is that is planned out the beta from the middle of October. The final version will come about two and a half months later.

SURFCAM 2015 R1 Sneak Peek #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK9uNJatV5A#t=28

Looking good so far, keep it coming. Still not enough for me to upgrade. I won't upgrade regardless of the improvements unless all penalties are waived. I've been penalized already from the lack of improvements over the last few years I was on maintenance. By penalties I mean having to pay all skipped annual maintenance fees. With some companies this is a requirement, I haven't seen or heard what the policy is with the new owners.

SURFCAM 2015 R1 Sneak Peek #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBFszon_zqU

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Another One

SURFCAM 2015 R1 Sneak Peek #3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHatY1h2bAo#t=36

These last three videos don't do anything for me. Like lipstick on a pig if you will. Yes they're needed and should have been done 10 years ago, but they need to do more in the selection area, like how you interact with the program. For instance, you shouldn't have to select "multiselon" to make entities stay highlighted, every selection should be multiple. There would be no need to select "done" if they would assign the right mouse button to "done" when in that menu. Select an entity once it stays highlighted, select the same entity again and it unselects. Having chain select remember your last selection would go a long way in shortening programing time. Unlimited undue is way past due and has been promised for at least a decade. Have you ever selected a surface to extend and have it go the wrong direction? And then try to undue it, you can't. I don't know about the last version but for the last decade we have been trying to get them to make the drill routine remember the last tool you used, sounds simple but they haven't done it. These are just some of the areas I feel need updating if they haven't been done already.

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    For instance, you shouldn't have to select "multiselon" to make entities stay highlighted, every selection should be multiple.
    I'll agree but once its on, it says on. No biggie for me.

There would be no need to select "done" if they would assign the right mouse button to "done" when in that menu.
    Or use both hands and push D. I would honestly hate my mouse button bindings to change

Select an entity once it stays highlighted, select the same entity again and it unselects.
    Once again use both hands and push E.

Having chain select remember your last selection would go a long way in shortening programing time.
    I can't find an advantage to having this.

Unlimited undue is way past due and has been promised for at least a decade.
    UNDO is functional in 2014.

I don't know about the last version but for the last decade we have been trying to get them to make the drill routine remember the last tool you used, sounds simple but they haven't done it..
    Doesn't it default to the last tool used? Never noticed. I can't find an advantage to having this.

I agree that Surfcam is a bit behind the competition in some aspects, such as the iteration of the software with the user. But we also have to recognize that the latter versions had significant improvements. I think it has improved over the past 3-4 years than previously.
    What I was advised to speak with your representatives and asked them to join the Surfcam community forum that was created for users to discuss, submit questions and solutions and thus contributing par software development.

SURFCAM 2015 R1 Sneak Peek #4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALnpR2Oi5Y

Quote Originally Posted by forjaco View Post
    I agree that Surfcam is a bit behind the competition in some aspects, such as the iteration of the software with the user. But we also have to recognize that the latter versions had significant improvements. I think it has improved over the past 3-4 years than previously.
    What I was advised to speak with your representatives and asked them to join the Surfcam community forum that was created for users to discuss, submit questions and solutions and thus contributing par software development.
    Is there another forum other than this one? That was my biggest complaint about Surfware. There was no way of communicating your dissatisfaction other than the dealer who almost never passed along suggestions or they fell on deaf ears. BTW, haven't heard from my dealer since I paid for V6, but I do get an occasional email from Vero.

Again the latest sneak peak shows a function that's not of any use to us.

The official forum is eSupport Community
    You need to register.
    The problem is that this function is not included in the base version of Surfcam, nor do I have the version that advanced 3-axis have access.
    I think that has to be purchased separately.

You need to register.
    Looks likes you need to be current on maintenance, we're are not and have no plans to start ever again.

You need to register.
    The problem is that this function is not included in the base version of Surfcam, nor do I have the version that advanced 3-axis have access.
    I think that has to be purchased separately.
    It's currently only for resellers.

Page 1 of 3 123