585,660 active members*
3,153 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

keyboard hacking

ive just got done ripping apart a keybourd to see if i can connect switches to the hot keys , turns out its a simple board with two terminals ,one terminal has 8 connections the other has 20 , so i took a wire connected it to one connection in one terminal then connected it to a connector in the other terminal ,with notepad on and ready to recieve info i kept trying different connections and had results most of the time ,so now its a matter of figuring out the complete matrix and i should be able to make a deadly control panel using one thru the usb port ,

has anyone done this yet ,and or have any info which may make this easier to figure the combinations

curt

How about using a USB keypad?

Aaron

i ve got one of those but not enough keys for what i'd like

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_input.shtml#Keyhook

these guys have a piece of software that shows what the key is supposed to be while i connect each different combination , this is too easy , i'll be able to use toggle switches (i hate push buttons) to create a customized control panel for my lil router table ,keyboards are a dime a dozen , its something ive thought about for some time now and finally decided to investigate this , glad i did ,

Here might be some more useful info:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1610432,00.asp

http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/html/

As noted in the one article, there is a limit to how many keys can be pressed at one time.
    *If you use toggle switches you cannot connect more than that number (6 I think) at one time.*
    More than that and you will need to set up the software to "toggle" each time you press a key.
    Also you will generaly need to use diodes with multiple switches.

Here is another good one that has some example key matrix tables that might match yours if you are real lucky.

I made something simular a few years ago when I was more into flightsims. I bought a ton of momitary switches. Im not sure if all the layouts on all keyboards are the same but I will see if I can find the paper I made of the keyboard layout.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ive got it all figured out now , in the link i posted earlier there is a free software that shows which key has been pressed ,
    i ve had some trouble with limit switches on my router ,so that was the first thing i did , i connected the switches so they trip the reset in mach , with an extra push button switch to trip the reset back again ,all three switches work thru the extra one ,
    unconventional but it works perfect , the table stops pretty much dead nuts in the same spot each time for homing purposes , beats the heck out of eye balling the cutter to the part if or when i loose steps , i work on fast machines at work so i'm not a patient man when running cnc at home so i tend to push the system beyond the limits and loose steps at times

now i'm hacking another keyboard to make the full controller , ive come to realize i need some serious amount of switches to do what i want to do

so here is the hack job and some swithes that i have collected , it was simple to find the key combinations , i need to decide what what size of control panel to build and what i will build it out of , the mdf board to mount the electrical on is temporary ,ive added terminals for all the connections
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails y 0028.jpg  

I see some real potential in what you're doing dertsap :cheers: one thing I may have missed is does WinXP allow you to use 2 keyboards?
    Keith

i know that two will work if one is thru the usb port ,i will be splicing two together to see if it will work ,so i will keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    i know that two will work if one is thru the usb port ,i will be splicing two together to see if it will work ,so i will keep you posted
    Thanks for that ....Is it done yet :rainfro:
    Keith

appreciate the enthusiasm ,
    but no
    i'm currently designing the control board panel on cad ,this will be a bit of a process and time is limited somewhat plus i'm jumping all over getting the first table's few bugs out ,the second has been leaning against the wall on the back burner

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Thanks for that ....Is it done yet :rainfro:
    i didnt hack two together , bought a usb keyboard yesterday ,the two will work fine together ,theres too much keeping up with everthing i have on the go to experiment with it

I have hacked keyboards while building arcades and Jukeboxes. It was "fun" the fist time, but then I invsted the $$ and bought one of these. For as low as $35 there is no guessing or sodering, and its removable ect.. for use on a new project

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

It allows 2 keyboards and trust me, very easy. You get software to design your layout and program each switch to whatever you want.. no fantom keys. I sound like a sales person but it saved me a buch of time on my second arcade.

Nice one jdell42 :beer: "bookmarked"
    Keith

ive seen those units , they are a nice setup , my thing is i have an thing about ripping things apart to see what makes them tick , i didn t find the soldering took too long ,so this was an easy project . if or when i do this again i will probably buy something like that ,

Quote Originally Posted by jdell42 View Post
    I have hacked keyboards while building arcades and Jukeboxes.
    It is funny when I think of how much money I spent on arcades as a kid, and these days you can put together an old PC running emulator software and run the same games for next to nothing in cost...(chair)

Russell.

A-D-Controller BU0836

Google this for cheep usb interface and info.
    i used two and they work well

Page 1 of 2 12