585,556 active members*
3,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

File Transfer

Hello:
    I'm somewhat of a newbie here so do please excuse my asking such basic questions. When you folks are receiving files from a client what type do you prefer? As a toolmaker I'm used to working with blueprints. Since most folks don't have a printer that will handle larger than letter size I need to understand how most of you work around the absence of a paper blueprint. The models I create in CAD are solid models that can be saved in several different formats. Do most of you want the file of the model or the blueprint from your clients? I also created blueprints, scanned them and saved as a jpeg on disc. Is there difficulty in viewing the image when sent as an attachment? I guess I need a few tips on preffered methods of file transfer if anybody has time to reply to these questions. My thanks in advance to all replies.

both

for the solid models iges is a universal format. It all depends on what each shop needs,but i believe most shops today would be able to use a iges file. It never hurts to have the print also, this way a person can see what the tolerances are and it helps to clarify if there are questions. so if you have both types a model & a print then it is nice to see both.

thanks MIke
    [email protected]
    www.hessemachine.com

Well I guess that just makes sense that it's better to have both the model as well as the print on hand. Perhaps that would have occured to me if I hadn't spent so many hours frying my brain on the models. Thanks Mike.

Initial Graphics Exchange Specification (IGES) for 3d or Data Exchange File (dxf) for 2d all cad/cam systems can read these format