585,974 active members*
4,384 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Bring your own tools or does your company supply tools?

Bring your own tools or does your company supply tools?

Lately I,ve been trying to get second shift work( I own a glass shop but business has slowed to a crawl). Anyway I,m wondering if the company any of you all work at supply tooling or if you bring your own? Most of the companies I applied at are 150 or more employees so fairly large companies.

80% of most jobs require that you bring your own tools to work with. I have a small tool box with the basics and keep the tool room at home. Too many people like to borrow things and never bring them back.

Some large shops will supply tools for you to use. They should tell you at the job interview or you will have to ask.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

any company that ISO 9000 may not want you to bring anything other than handtool. Mic's and tool of that type now have to be inspected and recorded in the company data base. So most company are buying them.

Kool thats what I,m hoping, I keep hearing of these problems with tools being borrowed but that crap doesn,t fly by me. Its one thing if I,m right there and ya need to borrow something that I can see will be quick fix but to borrow and walk off with the tool when I might end up needing it, just wrong! Plus I,m nervous about getting a job, being I,ve had my own business now for over 4 years( and swore I would never work for anyone else again) and now I find that the only way to get out of this rut that I,m in is to get a second job to help compensate my business(sloooowwww).

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    any company that ISO 9000 may not want you to bring anything other than handtool. Mic's and tool of that type now have to be inspected and recorded in the company data base. So most company are buying them.

company i'm at is iso and we supply or own tools ,which i prefer , i don t like to have my reputation riding on trusting tools that some other hack may have had their paws on
    lots of people don't respect company tools

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap
    company i'm at is iso and we supply or own tools ,which i prefer , i don t like to have my reputation riding on trusting tools that some other hack may have had their paws on
    lots of people don't respect company tools

I'll have to second that Dertsap. This is the reason I bring my own very day in a small toolbox. Everything else (too big for a small toolbox) the company should supply. BTW: All mics, calipers, drop dials, etc. calibrated by yours truely.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    I'll have to second that Dertsap. This is the reason I bring my own very day in a small toolbox. Everything else (too big for a small toolbox) the company should supply. BTW: All mics, calipers, drop dials, etc. calibrated by yours truely.

the larger stuff a company should supply , personally i carry my own bore gages , mics , small to large scale calipers, i got a good feel for my own tools , most tools are quirky and sometimes it takes time to get used to that , i don t have the time for that or the parts to test on , no room for scrap (nuts) ,
    for the most part the company supplies everything and some stuff i do use but as little as possible

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap
    the larger stuff a company should supply , personally i carry my own bore gages , mics , small to large scale calipers, i got a good feel for my own tools , most tools are quirky and sometimes it takes time to get used to that , i don t have the time for that or the parts to test on , no room for scrap (nuts) ,
    for the most part the company supplies everything and some stuff i do use but as little as possible

Dertsap, I still have my very first Mitutoyo 0-1 Mic and 6" Dail Caliper after 14 years. Obsessed, no, just take good care of them and NEVER LEND THEM TO ANYONE. I set my mics to the ratchet and have aquired a feel the the 6",12", and 18" Dial Calipers. The Sign On The Toolbox Says "Do Not Touch"!!
    The last idiot that did got touched by the lid, Ooops!! Sorry didn't see your hand there.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I have my own tools and I work for the Company that is supplying tools & Precision surface equipments since last 60 years.
    Deepali Bakshi
    [email protected]

I've got a fairly large collection of tools at work. I find that having my own "good" tools makes me a better machinist. Everything I need is right there in my tool boxes.

I always brought my own. I absolutely HATE scrounging for shop tools that someone has left someplace rather than putting them back. The shop I used to work for was so bad that one day I just threw my hands up, walked in the office and grabbed the MSC catalog. $8000 later I had a bunch of Kennedy cabinets and chests and a load of wrenches, hand tools, and gauges. I made sure that these were LOCKED ever lunch hour and every evening when I went home. When I left, they were the first thing I put in my truck.