585,660 active members*
3,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

dumbass question - cutting depth...

Can you cut thicker material with a laser by repeating the cut? would you need to change the cutting 'depth' by refocusing?

Friend has a 60w laser and wants to cut a load of 3/8th marine ply lumber into architectural junk. We where talking over lunch today and for some reason he thought I might have a clue - I obviously don't.. ideas or guidance welcome!

From the recent rash of chinese laser cutters does any one stand out that would be capable of cutting 3/8th ply? these are 2'x4' qtr sheets.

thanks

Andrew

my experience is that it's better to slow the laser to the point that it will do it in one pass. Multi passes deflect the beam, and most of the energy will burn the edges of the wood as there is no place for the beam to go. It's better to try it at 10 in per minute or slower and work your way up. Problem with plywood is that there are voids and knots and multi layers of glue that want to diffract the beam. 60 watts is barely enough power, although you might get lucky. Better to have 100 to 200 watts. Keep a spray mister bottle
    near by, and clear the area of flammables!