585,712 active members*
4,279 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach License file issue

Looking for any help on this Labor day holiday.
    Long story short: I had a controller failure a month ago in which I had to restore the MachOS. This all seemed to have gone well and have been running small programs since, however it only runs in demo mode limited to 500 lines of code (I didn't know this as the programs I was running were less than 500 lines).
    This is discussed in the manual and says the license needs to be loaded from the license CD. Well I don't have anything called that. I did re-install the Mach3 software from the disk that I originally received and then also the ATC version over that. This is also talked about in the various manuals. And is my understanding of the procedure.

Either I am doing something wrong or don't have the required disk. Any help or pointers would be helpful. I have sent an email to Tormach but of course I won't get anything back on that till at least Tuesday.

Re: Tormach License file issue

If you still have access to the old controller, look for the file named "Mach1Lic.dat", which is probably in your C:\PCNC3 folder. I'm pretty sure that is your Mach3 license file. Just copy it to the same folder on your new controller. You might also find the same file on one of the Mach3 CDs that you got from Tormach.

Mike

Thanks for the info.
    First the problem I had was that the MachOS and Windows became corrupted, the controller hardware is fine. I had to reload the operating system which basically formats the hard drive. I lost the everything on the disk. Only real lost was the tool table which was not that big a deal. All machining programs are backed up.
    OK, so I looked on the disks I have from Tormach and there isn't any DAT files at all, only the EXE installation files, so I believe the DAT file may be created at installation. I then looked on the Tormach Controllers HD and there isn't any DAT files named as you suggest.
    You could do me a favor if you could list the CD's you got from Tormach at the time you received your machine? I am wondering if I somehow lost a disk. Most important is do you have a disk named something to the effect that it is a license disk?

My system was originally purchased in 2006, which used an older version of Mach than we have now and the license file was on the original CD that came with the mill; this was labeled "PCNC 1100" and "3 Axis CNC Mill" with my Mach license number hand written on the CD envelope.. Later updates for a more recent Mach3 version and one tuned for the Series 2 upgrade did not have the license file, just a batch file to move it from one PC to another, or maybe to a new folder.

I recently bought a Tormach controller and it looks like the DVD that came with it is intended to basically create a fresh install of the OS and Mach on the controller HD. I don't see a license file on that, at least not in a form I recognize. If you have the license number (as was written on my CD folder), I think that you can contact Mach on their support form or from their web site and someone will send you the license file that you need. Tormach can probably do that as well, if you can wait until Tuesday.

Mike

Thanks again for your thoughts and information. I have turned my shop and home upside down looking, including in depth going thru each of my 3 safes I have. Now having that many safes and the manual mentions putting the CD in a safe place you would think there is a chance that I might have used one of these. All the CDs that I do have are in one of the safes. I have looked everywhere so that means I never received a CD and the license was already loaded or I haven't looked everywhere because there is at least one more location. I do not know.
    Unfortunately, I think you may be right and I will need to wait until Tuesday to get a resolution. I'm currently not under the gun to get anything done as my product inventory looks good.
    Thank again.

However if anyone else can add something please do. I know there are numerous people out there with series III machines so your input on what CD's you got with your machine would help allot.

I have a disk that is the license file for Mach, after installing the restore disk, I rebooted with the license cd in the drive, this reinstalled it in Mach.

You should have gotten the CD with the machine software bundle.
    mike sr

Thanks Mike, apparently somehow I must have misplaced them. I will need to see if Tormach can help me out and get me a new file or CD.

You could always message this guy - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-machine-gun-0 he is using a stolen version of Mach... I busted him, and turned him into Kickstarter - however it did nothing.. He took down the picture that showed it.

I'm hoping you were just kidding about contacting this guy.

Yes, definitely a joke.

Just wanted to say Tormach, best CS company on earth, resolved my issue by sending me a new file. Thanks Daniel R and the team at Tormach.