585,728 active members*
4,157 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Alphacam > Alphacam to a Rye CNC

Alphacam to a Rye CNC

We have an older Rye CNC that we use Alphacam to write the Gcode for the CNC. When we run one Gcode all the depths are good, but the next Gcode that is loaded into the CNC it will be .27 inches from cutting all the way through on the Z axis. Both cuts use the same wood and the depths on the Z axis. Has anyone run in this issue because it looks like to be the CNC and CNCZone doesn't have a Forum for the Rye CNC.

Re: Alphacam to a Rye CNC

Hi Trell
    Never heard of the Rye make before but my best guess would be that you may be losing steps on your z axis . I presume that it is steppers rather than servos? I have had this issue with my multicam machines and it`s usually slippage. Could your Z plunge be too fast ? If there is sufficient counterforce then it could cause the loss of steps in the Z+ direction giving you your 0.27 shortfall . Grease the ballscrew and check the belt tension and then they`re sweet again. It`s unlikely that alphacam is the cause of the problem but if mechanically all is well then perhaps there is an issue with the post . But for my money I`d bet it being a mechanical issue

Routerfiend,
    Now that we have done some testing, it looks like it could be the code. When code "A" is loaded, then all is good and everything cuts fine but when code "B" is loaded then the Z axis comes up short. We then loaded code "A" again and everything cuts fine and this is without changing to Z axis, So if "A" is run, it is OK then code "B" will be short no matter how many time you load it. In the G code both are set to -.5 down on the Z axis???

Can you post the code here for examination? It could be a offset call or a unit setting.

Ben