584,866 active members*
5,279 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help with eBay 3020T-DJ

Hello I am new here, and very new to CNC. I have bought one of the 3020T-DJ engravers off of eBay. I've got it set up and running but has a problem with what I think may be skipping steps. It will never go back to the same zero home location. It seems to be mostly on the X axis. I have looked over all the wiring, and check for free movement. Everything seems in order, and moving as they should be. I have read and read about different things with this to the point that I am very confused. I have included a picture of the etch I did. As you can see on the right at one point I broke a bit and rehomed it to start over. It did not go back to the original zero home As you can see by the double etching. Then at some point on the right the whole etch shifted. Is skipping steps what is causing this and will adding the resistors actually help this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I never thought I'd be the confused old man that I have become, so excuse my ignorance. There is just so many different people saying so many different things. Thank you

Attachment 248412

Re: Need help with eBay 3020T-DJ

Hey Morbid;
    Skipped steps are usually the result of a hardward bind or trying to run the machine too fast. What operating system are you using. If Mach is the system, try lowering you speed and acceleration in motor tune.
    Hope you get it going.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Re: Need help with eBay 3020T-DJ

I had this problem, I found that the set screws in the couplings on the stepper motor were slipping. There are two stepper motors that have flexible couplings and one that is solid. The solid unit should be used on the z axis, the other two have much more robust set screws.