585,712 active members*
4,220 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: HELP PLEASE

HELP PLEASE

Hi Guys

I have inherited an older model 3 axis vertical mill using Fagor automation software. The previous owner purchased the machine second hand over 4 years ago and has never used it. For the time being he has agreed to leave the machine in his premises but i would like to get them machine working.

A little background on me, i am not a machinist but really enjoy hobbying and learning, and as the machine was free i could not resist.

I am currently using solidworks to do my cad designs but would like to use a cam software to load the files into the mill for making parts. Is it possible to use software like solidcam to send files to fagor and run them.

Can you guys please tell me where to begin to get this machine making parts.

Thankyou in advance
    John

Re: HELP PLEASE

Hi John,

Which model control is on the mill (8025M, 8040MC, etc.)?

You can use pretty much any CAM software that you want to, just send a copy of the programming manual to the CAM software folks and they should be able to write you a post processor for it (usually they do that for free if you own the software).

The least cost method of getting the Gcode into the machine is WinDNC which is provided by Fagor.

You can find free downloads of all the manuals and WinDNC online.

Just go to Fagor's website and/or do a google search.

R/Todd