584,808 active members*
5,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > solidworks to cam

solidworks to cam

Hi I'm in the process of gathering all the parts to build my cnc, now while I'm gathering pieces I have been playing with solidworks, I have got how to draw parts figured out pretty good, but now how do I convert them to g-code?

thanks Bob

OneCNC and Solidworks go nicely together. I don't know what your needs or budget are, though. Creating toolpaths from surface or solid models is an excellent way to make good parts, if you have software like this, that will not allow gouging to occur. It is a giant leap ahead of wireframe modelling.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Is there anything cheaper then onecnc for use with Solidworks?
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

I honestly don't know, but I suspect that it could be tough to find anything in the solids and surfaces class that is cheap enough for the hobbyist. I hope anyone will contribute their information.

However, if you have a good surface model (and that can sometimes be a big if ), and have a good idea for what tools, and what kind of machine post you want to use, it doesn't take many minutes to create some code. I'd do it if you want. If it gets really involved, of course, I might have to take a few dollars off you

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Oooh, I like that idea. Until I learn it for myself of course. Here is a picture of the product that is going to be produced. It's 1/4 inch Lexan and requires a smooth edge.

I do not have my machine built yet so techincal data is impossible. I'll probably let you know in a month with all the speeds, cutters, ect.

Is it possible to have 6 chassis per code? I want to have bigger 2'x2' sheets in it. Also, will you be able to program stops in for tool changing?

I wouldn't mind paying you. PM me with your fee for the job I just described.

I can give give you sldprt, stl, iges, step, x_t, or prt.

Hi Cold Fusion,

Your file is an example of what we would call 2d machining. FYI, I believe OneCNC XP Mill Production would be adequate for handling this type of file. It will allow you to import a solid model, and extract the edges to make a 2d path, as well as hole drilling routines.

Yes, when it comes to programming, it is quick and easy if you know what you want, and how you want to attack the part. I'll admit that frequently, even I will recreate my own programs a couple of times after running the part a time or two, depending on part positioning, clamping, cutting performance, tool choice, tool availability, part finish, etc. This is the convenience factor of having the program right there on your own PC.

This is simple to do, and keep track of, in OneCNC''s XP series. The frustrating part for you is the time lapse while this back and forth communication goes on.

Iges is the preferred surface/solid model format.

Guys

I am a long time SolidWorks user who has recently added CNC capabilities to my shop.
    I have gone with VisualMill for my CAM work. I believe that its current price tag is about $4000 and is packaged with XPert DNC and MetaCut, but I believe there is a Basic version available at less cost.
    I do not have the parasolid add in for VisualMill 'cause it costs extra and have had no problem importing 3D using the .iges or .stl import methods.
    Also of note is the direct .dwg input. SolidWorks saves better dwg files than ACAD does (my opinion) and VisualMill reads them direct.
    As HuFlungDung has mentioned your project is a simple 2.5D part and doesn't need the capabilities of 3D output to CAM.

If you have a higher bugdet you might also want to check out SolidCam.