585,670 active members*
4,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face CNC router or jigsaw

I know I may be out of line by even suggesting jigsaw here. I've just acquired a sticker printing business and have found steel rule die's to be rather expensive. We manufacture skateboards and have a CNC Porter Cable router table set up (approx 5'x12'). We use adobe illustrator to design our die lines. Lookin at the die's given to me with the business; I don't see any reason why I shouldn't make them myself and avoid paying $900.00 for one. My questions are what type of bit do I use to cut 5/8 ply for a 2pt rule? What are "bridges", or notches in the steel rule for? And do I use a our CNC to cut or a Jigsaw? Sorry if these questions require you to get carpal tunnel syndorm, any help would be highly appreciated. :cheers:

Best

Roger

I'm sorry but I am really confused. What does stickers have to do with skateboards? What are the steel rule dies used for? Are they sharp edged dies used with a press to cut a stack of stickers? What is the backing material? Looks like you could route the backing plate with the CNC and lay in your own steel (it probably is a special high carbon steel to retain an edge). I would think the notches in the steel rule are relief notches but then that is just a guess. It's probably been discovered over time the notches are needed to cut soft materials.

Let's see..... a pt = 1/72 inch (.01388) 2 pt then is .0277. Is that the thickness of the steel die strip?

Routing a .0277 wide cut in most materials will be a challenge. Bits that small have no laterial strength.

Okay, I'll shut up and go think about electronics or something