584,802 active members*
4,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Education - Teachers and Students Hangout > Looking for help to build a syllabus & course material

Looking for help to build a syllabus & course material

I've designed a mural drawing robot that runs on gcode and could teach many of the basics of cnc machining. I'm not a formally trained teacher and I don't know how to write a syllabus & course material. I'm looking for people who could help me make that happen to speed up adoption and for less tech-savvy educators. It's an open source, open hardware design.

The machine is Makelangelo 3 complete kit [ROBO-0019] - $311.88 : Marginally Clever. There's 650 of them around the world now.

Would you be interested? Please tell me how we can make this work.

Thanks!
    http://marginallyclevergroup.com/ - laser cutting, 3D printing, robot making, and more.

Re: Looking for help to build a syllabus & course material

BUMP!!

break down what you think your machine teaches into chunks. Mechanics, electronics, programming, artistic expression, CAD etc etc etc. Then take one area at a time and break that down into small chunks, piece by piece. How would you explain what each piece does, how they interact with the other pieces. Chart it out and you'll start to come to grips about how you can present it over the course of a few months, hour by hours (class by class) HINT - you just have to be a few steps ahead of the students you don't need everything right at the get go.

Also, consider that you'd be educating as your class is building. So perhaps discuss mechanics first, physics, simple machines etc as you build the frame etc. Then as you add motors solenoids, etc you have the chance to discuss the concepts of electricity, electronics, soldering, troubleshooting etc. Add the Arduino or whatever runs the machine and you break that down into teaching programming.. (blinky, pins, if then, for loops, functions etc etc.)

A machine like this could be one giant learning project. Teaching technology is ALOT of prep work. . . Typically it takes 2-3 runs of a project to really get it going smoothly. (In my experience) Hope you get somewhere with it!
    ~Steve Maietta (11 year MS/HS tech teacher)

Re: Looking for help to build a syllabus & course material

you can gloss over details if they aren't needed. One issue can be filling the course length, if it is a fixed term school. Otherwise, break the subject down and present the subject in a rational order. If there is a lab, then it helps if you are building towards a goal, with intermediate goals to build student confidence. They will let you know if they don't understand anything. That's what stupid questions are for, so listen to the question and see what the real confusion is.