585,753 active members*
4,299 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Curve Side on profiling operation - "on curve"

Curve Side on profiling operation - "on curve"

I am doing a simple cutting of a .25 deep grid using a .25 cutter. I am doing a 2d profiling operation. When I select the "On Curve" Curve Side under the "Direction" tab in madcam the safe clearance is not above the material top. When I select either left or right of the curve the safe clearance works out fine and is above the material top.

Thoughts?

Attachment 248948

so my question is... how do I cut along a line "on the line". This is a simple vacuum table top configuration. The material is .75" thick. The cut is .25" deep along each line. Up to this point I always cut left or right of a line dong similar cuts with a line and never thought that the on curve would be different.

Attachment 248956

I read the article and it was interesting but did not directly help my situation. But thanks. This is what I have tried since to try to figure this out.

An example of the simulator when I change "curve side".

From left to right

The first two lines were two distinct profile operations (1 layer) with "on Curve". You can see it cuts nice.
    The next two is one profile operation with "Right / outside". You can see it cuts nice.
    The next two lines is one profile operation with "on curve". You can see that when the cutter traverses to the next line to the right it does not move up the Z and removes material during the traverse.

Any ideas? There are 23 lines in both directions so I was hoping to just do three layers (Profile operations). 1 for horizontal lines, 1 for vertical and 1 for the profile around the part.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grid Exmple.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	248998

Re: Curve Side on profiling operation - "on curve"

Along Curves or Project Curves. I prefer Project Curves.

If you check this article you'll see an example.
    MADCAMCNC: Knurling and textures

I read the article and it was interesting but did not directly help my situation. But thanks. This is what I have tried since to try to figure this out. See next post

Don't update the main post! Create a new one when you reply, following this thread will be just a mess otherwise.

This is not a profiling operation, it's a curve operation. Rethink your strategy and the suggestion I gave you will be just fine.
    You wrote "so my question is... how do I cut along a line "on the line" and that is exactly what I suggested.

Yes, we do this every day, and it works very well. As Sven suggested, the profiling operation is not what you want to do here.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)