584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Bridgeport style right angle drive

Bridgeport style right angle drive

Recently purchased a GemPower right angle drive for my 1100, modified the R-8 to TTS. Need it to cut standard or metric threads on the end of longer shafts.
    Has anyone else used right angle drives on the Tormach? I would like some tips on changing the G-17 to G-19. The unit works great so far even can leave the
    spindle light on the quill. Very rigid unit. Attachment 249952

Re: Bridgeport style right angle drive

Look forward to seeing more on this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good approach, I have been looking at the same type setup to use to thread rifle barrel muzzles. I want to thread mill using the head in the Y-Z plane without having to breakdown the receiver an barrel to go in my Lathe.

I'll be interested in your results.

nitewatchman

Looks nice! What is that red digital display next to the PDB switch?

Attachment 256276 Had to modify the R8 to TTS, works great, also speeds up to install and remove.

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
    Looks nice! What is that red digital display next to the PDB switch?
    That is a digital RPM gauge, works nice when using the manual control for setting spindle speed. Also works better
    than the load meter to watch for cutter wear.

I have been using a Bridgeport RA drive on my Tormach PCNC 1100 for a few years. I had to disassemble it and machine the R8 shank down to 0.75" diameter and also shorten it, but the result works just fine. The only down side is that only the upper spindle nose clamp can be used to grab the Tormach spindle since the latter is too short to reach the lower clamping lands. Also be aware that there is a relatively low maximum speed limit for the Bridgeport RA attachment (2,200 RPM if I recall correctly). The Bridgeport Quill Master also fits and works fine on the Tormach PCNC 1100 without any modifications.

I know that this is an old thread but I am going to give it a shot.

I plan to boldly go where you have already been and mount a Gem Power Right Angle Head to my 1100. Do you have details and dimension that you could share for the TTS conversion?

gary

The use of my right angle drive was for a one-off job of cutting racks so I didn't bother. I just left the original R8 adapter which means that I have to remove the 3/4-inch collet to install things. Note that not only do you need to set the Z-offset but also align the unit with the X-axis using the flat on the side of the gearbox. Generally a pain if you use it much!

I think that the 3-3/8" quill is too short on the 1100 spindle to allow the R8 adapter to fully seat in the spindle taper. If this is true, the drawbar can not be tightened and the RA head will be driving by the spindle key only.

For the light cuts that the head can make this may be enough but I would like to grip the RA head adapter if I can. I was thinking of cutting the top part of the adapter to 3/4" diameter leaving the lower taper section intact long enough to engage the the TTS collet.

I would then drop the RA head slightly below the quill shoulder to avoid pulling the adapter out of the RA head when the power drawbar takes up and then clamp the RA head to the quill.

If the quill length is longer than I think then this is just a mental exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The use of my right angle drive was for a one-off job of cutting racks so I didn't bother. I just left the original R8 adapter which means that I have to remove the 3/4-inch collet to install things. Note that not only do you need to set the Z-offset but also align the unit with the X-axis using the flat on the side of the gearbox. Generally a pain if you use it much!

I forgot to mention. The part on my right angle drive that clamps around the quill was originally a casting which was broken when I got my unit hence the excellent price (free). I made a replacement using a length of DoM tubing. I can take a photo and measure if that will help.

Your price was right!

I ended up buying an open box new unit for $460USD so if I start hacking on it I would like to get it right the first time.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

gary

I forgot to mention. The part on my right angle drive that clamps around the quill was originally a casting which was broken when I got my unit hence the excellent price (free). I made a replacement using a length of DoM tubing. I can take a photo and measure if that will help.

I did some quick photos. The R8 shank on the right angle drive protrudes 2-inches above the quill clamp. To make the quill clamp I turned down a length of 1/2-inch wall DoM tubing for most of its length leaving a 1/4 inch wide portion at the bottom with the original OD. The plate (5/8-inch HRS) that connects the quill clamp to the body of the drive has a recess on its underside to receive the ring. Note that I have a 770 rather than 1100 so your dimensions may vary. Hopefully this is a help!

Very nice job on the repair. This RA head appears to be of the same construction as the one I have coming to me. I can see how shortening the clamp tube would allow the collet to fully seat.

Thanks for your help! Appreciate the photos they help me understand the mounting.

gary

I did some quick photos. The R8 shank on the right angle drive protrudes 2-inches above the quill clamp. To make the quill clamp I turned down a length of 1/2-inch wall DoM tubing for most of its length leaving a 1/4 inch wide portion at the bottom with the original OD. The plate (5/8-inch HRS) that connects the quill clamp to the body of the drive has a recess on its underside to receive the ring. Note that I have a 770 rather than 1100 so your dimensions may vary. Hopefully this is a help!

The exact length of the clamp tube isn't critical since you can slide it up/down prior to clamping. Happy to be able to help. Let us know how it turns out.