585,712 active members*
4,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Controller issues

I have a larken 5050R cnc machine (stepper configuration) with colombo high frequency spindle head. The controller is a Larken camtool. It connects directlt to the computer with a printer style cable. I am using Bobcad/cam, which needs to speak to the machine via RS232 communications, but won't because of the configuration.
    I am wondering if anyone knows of a company that can convert my controller so it will be able to control the machine with RS232.
    I am having to jump through a series of 5-6 hoops to get the g-code to the controller, which stinks.
    Thanks in advance folks.

Their Starcam program runs the Gcode directly. Its been out for about 2 years now. Its very easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Selmac View Post
    I am having to jump through a series of 5-6 hoops to get the g-code to the controller, which stinks.
    Not to sure what you are trying to do here? wether DOS or Windows, Larken software has the ability to convert G code files, so don't you just need to get the Bobcad file into the controller PC?
    What do you need RS232 for?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

In looking at their web site and trying to figure what you have it appears that they are using a PC based parallel port interface to drive conventional Step & Dir motor drives. This setup resembles a typical MACH3 interface ;in fact they even reference MACH in they hardware section as being compatible with their controller.

Your better approach would be to draw/CAM process your files on a workstation and send the resulting g-code to your PC via an Ethernet connection. Then just use their controller software to run the g-code. We do this in production every day.

Draw/trace the art in CoreDRAW Export in DXF or PLT
    Import file into SheetCAM (you can have both apps open at the same time)
    Define the toolpath in SHeetCAM and get g-code
    Transfer the entire file to a folder on the Controller PC

Entire process takes a few minutes with most of it spent drawing.

The only thing you will gain with a serial DNC link is not having to do the final file copy. It just ties up two PC's while you are cutting rather than one!

I doubt the PC application from Larken supports DNC since all it is a file transfer.

Perhaps a review of your workflow approach might yield a more efficient way to do things.

The smaller CNC market is not yet to the draw-n-cut (like a vinyl cutter) yet but give us a few months (:-0

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post

Draw/trace the art in CoreDRAW Export in DXF or PLT
    Import file into SheetCAM (you can have both apps open at the same time)
    Define the toolpath in SHeetCAM and get g-code
    Transfer the entire file to a folder on the Controller PC
    Larken take Corel and DXF files directly without need to convert to Gcode.
    Tool path can be done fairly quickly when loaded.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hi everyone, and thanks for your replies:

The problem with importing dxf files into starcam is that it does not import arcs, but converts them into crummy line sections. This results in very jagged and faceted profiles. I have been able to convert my drawings into an hppgl plot file and pull it into starcam. This is great if all I am doing is profile work. I am geting set to move into 3d surfacing and this presents a problem.

One solution, if I could figure it out would be to import the gcode directly into starcam. The problem here is the file extension that bobcad uses to export g-code is different (.cnc)than what starcam will accept (.NC). Perhaps there is a way to change the file extension so starcam will open the file?

Just rename the file with the new extension? Unless there is a choice in Bobcad.
    Al.

Albert E.

Howdy folks,

I was able to change the file extension in the file setup menu on the cam side of bobcad and this has enabled me to load a g-code file into starcam. Yeah!!!
    Thanks for your help everyone.