584,850 active members*
4,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Thread spec for camera lens filter thread

Question Thread spec for camera lens filter thread

I'm making an adapter to join my camera to my microscope. To connect to the camera, I want the adapter threaded like a lens filter. The thread spec is 52mm X 0.75mm. I have access to a lathe but I can't find anywhere the spec for that thread. I need to know the OD, if it's a 60 degree thread or something else, and what the depth of the thread is. If I get that much I think I can wing it. Thanks in advance!!!
    Charley

A microscope thread is usually a modified whitworth thread, 55 degree included angle, 36 (.70mm) threads per inch. It uses a rounded crest and root, not sharp V.

You didn't say what type of camera, but you may need a short extension tube to get the focal length right.

I haven't made any camera mounts for a couple of years and haven't links anymore to any websites. But Google 'C-Mount to microscope' or 'Camera microscope adapter', you should get something. There was one site were the user gave very detailed sizes for focal lengths for different cameras and the adapters to microscopes.

The 27th edition of Machinery's Handbook gives the sizes for different microscopes threads, I have to load it here...I'll post them later.

Pix
    Some of my best finds were in the trash....

If you know it's metric thread the rest is easy. General rule of thumb, subtract the pitch from the o.d. this will give you the minor dia. (approx.) Metric always 60 degrees. With this info you have a shot at getting somewhere close.

M52 x 0.75
    Pitch dia = 51.513
    Minor dia (nut) = 51.188
    Minor dia (bolt) - 51.080

But like Mike Zee said: Nominal size minus pitch is ok. 52.000 - 0.75 = 51.25 (tap drill size).

Greetings juergenwt:

I am drafting an industrial camera system in Solidworks. The software is great with typical threads, but camera/lens/filter threads are missing from its charts.

I need to place a UV filter at the end of a protective aluminum tube that will cover a lens assembly. The OD of the tube is 82mm, wall of 3.5mm, leaving the ID at 75mm. I'm guessing a 77mm filter will be the best to use at the end of the tube, as several photo suppliers show the following sizes in this range: 74mm, 77, 82...

Is there a chance you would reply with the major & minor diameter of the nut and bolt for a 77mm thread pitch of .75? And even better - do you have a source for this data you could share? I have several other lenses I will be working on in the future and your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Thread spec for camera lens filter thread

Quote Originally Posted by threading View Post
    Greetings juergenwt:

I am drafting an industrial camera system in Solidworks. The software is great with typical threads, but camera/lens/filter threads are missing from its charts.

I need to place a UV filter at the end of a protective aluminum tube that will cover a lens assembly. The OD of the tube is 82mm, wall of 3.5mm, leaving the ID at 75mm. I'm guessing a 77mm filter will be the best to use at the end of the tube, as several photo suppliers show the following sizes in this range: 74mm, 77, 82...

Is there a chance you would reply with the major & minor diameter of the nut and bolt for a 77mm thread pitch of .75? And even better - do you have a source for this data you could share? I have several other lenses I will be working on in the future and your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Was anyone able to get the dimensions for the major and minor of a 77mm thread?
    Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: Thread spec for camera lens filter thread

Metric 60 degree threads are very simple.
    You need the OD and the pitch (obviously)
    Then the required ID = OD - Pitch.
    Yes, it IS that simple.

Cheers
    Roger