585,937 active members*
3,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

invalid switch states

I just finished a job on my 1996 Bridgeport torq-cut 22 everything ran fine. I tried to pull the tools from the carousel for the next job and got the message (invalid switch states) I tried to boot it and noticed that when I home axes the carousel dose not rotate like it always has. I can rotate the carousel with the (index carousel) button but not with the (S,T,M,) function at the control. Also I can (pull/put back) the current tool in the spindle with no noticeable issues. Anyone seen anything like this?

Thanx Lary Alvey

Re: invalid switch states

I've received that error for two reasons. One, and the most likely, is if the proximity sensors that detect if the tool carousel is all the way forward or fully retracted is failing. I've had a sensor rattle loose and intermittently fail at detecting the position and also the previous owner had screwed a prox. sensor in too far so that it was acting as both the sensor and the stop for travel. Eventually the prox was beaten to death and failed.

The second is when the machine sees a tool clamped and tool unclamped signal at nearly the same time from two small switches at the top of the drawbar pancake cylinder. This happened right after a spindle bearing and drawbar spring rebuild with 10.5 kN of force and the air pressure dropped enough during the air blast to trip the switch. This was solved by bumping up the pressure regulator a bit

I'm betting the problem is the former rather than the latter in your case. You could look at the switch signals on the maintenance page or visually check for the indicator lights on the prox. sensors themselves to verify.

Re: invalid switch states

Thanx jmullet it was the carousel back sensor. Had a wad of nylon chips blocking its view.......................Lary