585,556 active members*
3,566 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings
Page 7 of 9 56789

Re: Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings

We switching power off at standstill, so there's no back emf... Its a shame, I don't have oscilloscope to prove it...
    And let me quote you:
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    ... the Drives control most of the back EMF, there would be very little EMF that would get back to/hit the caps

I though that you had used a linear power supply, which you would of needed at least ( 1 ) Cap the size you had, so with the quality SMPS that you used, you would not of needed any Cap's at all, may be one for safe measures at the Power supply to help protect it from anything going back that could affect the SMPS

The best thing is not to have the Caps there at all, and only at the power supply if it needs them to filter the rough DC power

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas_J View Post
    We switching power off at standstill, so there's no back emf... Its a shame, I don't have oscilloscope to prove it...
    And let me quote you:
    Nothing to prove, no oscilloscope needed, I understand what you mean and are doing

My quote is correct, if the voltage is high when you shut down, with your setup, you will damage the drives, it's not the back ( EMF ) that is the problem, it is ( voltage ) I believe that most problems people have is how they wire their system to start with, this applies to any system, not just for Dmm

We have never seen any photo's of your wiring or your machine build, so it is had to say what is going on and why you have had problems
    Mactec54

... if the voltage is high when you shut down, with your setup, you will damage the drives, it's not the back ( EMF ) that is the problem, it is ( voltage )...
    What do you mean by "high"? Where high and why?

I'm having this same issue. When I first got the drives, till now, a year later. It won't save the PID parameters on all 4 drives. When I change the Main Gain setting to 68, it reverts right back to 1 when I reread the drive parameters. Contacted DMM and am still waiting for a response. Out $1600 and my mill is just sitting there.....
    Shaun
    my x2 conversion ------> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36403

Quote Originally Posted by skmetal7 View Post
    I'm having this same issue. When I first got the drives, till now, a year later. It won't save the PID parameters on all 4 drives. When I change the Main Gain setting to 68, it reverts right back to 1 when I reread the drive parameters. Contacted DMM and am still waiting for a response. Out $1600 and my mill is just sitting there.....
    Can you do a screenshot of when you are doing the settings, like the attached photo
    Mactec54

I'm having this same issue. When I first got the drives, till now, a year later. It won't save the PID parameters on all 4 drives. When I change the Main Gain setting to 68, it reverts right back to 1 when I reread the drive parameters....
    Not the same.In my case it always saves parameters correct. BTW, do you get "1" in all fields after reading? If so - there is no communication between software and dyn2 driver... (wrong com port, Dyn2 not powered, bad cable or adapter)

Not the same.In my case it always saves parameters correct. BTW, do you get "1" in all fields after reading? If so - there is no communication between software and dyn2 driver... (wrong com port, Dyn2 not powered, bad cable or adapter)
    I tried changing the 3 pid settings and the only one that didn't save was the Main Gain setting. But the same thing happens for all the drives. Bad serial adapter? Is there any way to test it? The dmm software says ServoOnPos, so there is communication.
    Shaun
    my x2 conversion ------> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36403

I tried changing the 3 pid settings and the only one that didn't save was the Main Gain setting. But the same thing happens for all the drives. Bad serial adapter? Is there any way to test it? The dmm software says ServoOnPos, so there is communication.
    This is why I asked for a screen shot this will tell what us if all your setup is correct before you change any Parameters

What mode are you in when changing the Parameters, you should be in RS232

Disconnect the JP3 Plug either from the Drive or the Breakout Board, before changing any Parameters

Try this when you open the Dmm software, and select your com port & Dyna2 drive, then set too RS232 in the Drive software, then Save, Read it to make sure it is in RS232, then do your setting changes, Save them recheck, if all is ok then, set back to Pulse/Dir Save & Read, this will get you ready to go
    Mactec54

What mode are you in when changing the Parameters, you should be in RS232
    Quote from Dyn2 manual:
    "No matter what position command input mode is, the RS232 port
    is all the time active for setting the servo constants, and drive
    configuration."

Quote from Dyn2 manual:
    "No matter what position command input mode is, the RS232 port
    is all the time active for setting the servo constants, and drive
    configuration."
    Now that we know you can read, you should correct your wiring of there system to their spec, and see if your problems you have had, most likely will go away

What you are saying is correct,regarding the RS232 Port, but this was not alway the case, it depends how old the drives are, if this was implemented or not in his Drives

I always found it worked better to set the Drives in RS232 mode, to do any Parameter changes, I have done 100's of them so no what works best
    Mactec54

Now that we know you can read, you should correct your wiring of there system to their spec, and see if your problems you have had, most likely will go away
    My system was wired to spec, bigger capacitors are "not less than 4700uF". Or you can draw what I did wrong?

What you are saying is correct,regarding the RS232 Port, but this was not alway the case, it depends how old th
    e drives are, if this was implemented or not in his Drives
    Do you have any proof of your statement. F.E. manual for older drive until firmware x.xx?

I always found it worked better to set the Drives in RS232 mode, to do any Parameter changes, I have done 100's of them so no what works best
    I found , that no matter what communication mode is set, parameter writes correctly. RS232 mode is needed only for movement testing from software.
    For skmetal7. Check com port settings in device manager (reset to default), do you use Windows XP, try another PC, what dmm software version you are using (I can check mine in few days), what is Dyn2 drives firmware version...

My system was wired to spec, bigger capacitors are "not less than 4700uF". Or you can draw what I did wrong?
    I/we have not seen how you have your system wired, except for how you switched the Drives, which is incorrect way to do it, to many and to large capacitors will damage your drive the way you have it wired

Do you have any proof of your statement. F.E. manual for older drive until firmware x.xx??
    Who needs proof, when it is in the manual for your drives, the new Dyna2 Drives yes you don't have to change it to RS232, this does not apply to any of the legacy Drives that you have

what dmm software version you are using what is Dyn2 drives firmware version...?
    Firmware was never changed on any of the Legacy Drives, only the new Drive Series has different Features and Firmware

This goes with the snip

5.2 Setting Drive Parameters and Mode Menu (Figure 5.0)

Main Gain: Position servo control main gain. Ranges from 1 to 127, and default is 16. This parameter should be increased accordingly as the inertia (mass) load on the motor shaft increases. The maximum load inertia is 10 times motor shaft inertia.

Speed Gain: Speed feedback gain for position control. Normally 4~20 (default is 4).
    Note: For speed servo control, the total servo loop gain is: Main Gain x Speed Gain.

Integration Gain: The gain to keep the position or speed servo loop at zero position error for the steady state. Normally 5~50 (default is 24).
    Mactec54

Tomas_J

Here is the manual for your Drives, note figure 5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dyna2 Setup Old.pdf  
    Mactec54

Fig. 5 displays default settings. And?
    Here is another quote from manual...:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dyn2_manual2.jpg  

Tomas_J

That's telling you what to do when you are changing from the RS232 to Pulse/Dir for use with Mach3, or for any other control that you are using that is using Set/Dir
    Mactec54

So now we have four separate people with sets of drives that are losing settings. Two of which are using the DMM breakout board.
    I to never had a reply from DMM after trying to escalate this issue and my drives are sat in a box after being replaced with Leadshide EL5 units.

That's telling you what to do when you are changing from the RS232 to Pulse/Dir for use with Mach3, or for any other control that you are using that is using Set/Dir
    Why you imagine things that aren't there? Where is the line "make sure, that drive is in RS232 control mode" or similar? I have legacy Dyn2 drives, was changing setting all the time without switching to RS232, my quote in post #129 is from legacy Dyn2 drive manual...
    To skmetal7. Do you make a pause (10 seconds) between writing parameters and reading again?

Tomas_J

I'm not saying that you have not had some kind of problem, but no one knows why, I have tried to repeat it with 20 different legacy Drives and can not make it happen, It would be good to see how you have wired your system, Grounds Etc

Figure 5.0

I was shown how to set the Drives one on one by the Designer/0wner of Dmm, so I always do it the way I was shown to do it, can you do it the other way, on some of the drive it works, and some it does not, so it is no big deal to set all your parameters in RS232 mode, then change it to Pulse/Dir when you are finished

matth
    I don't think the other 2 have had the same problem as what you and Tomas_J has had

It would be niece if they could reply back to see if they are still having problems, quite often it takes users a while to get the hang of how to do the settings, if they do it the way I posted they can guarantee that they have done it right
    Mactec54

matth

You could send me one of the Drives that you were having problems with, and see if I can reproduce the same thing,we could then look at the drive more closely and find what is causing the problem you have had

You can PM me for my address
    Mactec54

i still have the same problem, drives reset randomly , hasnt reset for about 6 weeks until a few days ago .... there was a power outage in our complex and one drive lost settings

one day i will get a solid relay and install and hopefully the problem will be resolved

Page 7 of 9 56789