584,830 active members*
5,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach3 Safe Z not returning to work surface after Stop...

Mach3 Safe Z not returning to work surface after Stop...

Ok, so i am fighting an Auto Z problem, see my other post, and i noticed another problem with Mach3 today.. Is this software just this buggy or what???

So i have Safe Z turned on, and its set to retract to +3.00 when stop is pressed. So i was testing it and noticed it doesn't work anything like i thought it would.

Running some code and its moving around, click Stop, the axis's stop moving, the bit retracts to +3.00 above Zero, awesome i thought, but when i click Cycle Start to continue where it left off the bit stays at +3.00 for the rest of the program cycle. Why doesn't it automatically go back down to Zero and then to the working depth and continue???

Re: Mach3 Safe Z not returning to work surface after Stop...

Why doesn't it automatically go back down to Zero and then to the working depth and continue???
    Because when it resumes running the g-code, there is no Z command to tell it to go back down. It's working exactly as it's supposed to.

Be aware that when you click "Stop" while the machine is moving, it will almost always lose steps, and attempting to resume cutting will usually result in a damaged part.

If you want to resume after stopping, you need to use feedhold first, and then stop, AFTER the machine has stopped moving.
    To resume, use Run From Here, but, you need to start at a point in the g-code where the Z axis will move down to cutting depth.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Mach3 Safe Z not returning to work surface after Stop...

Hmm ok.. So i would have to Feed Hold, the Stop, but it still wouldn't work because it would need the Z code to go back down. I will have to play around with this some there has to be a better way.

Thanks!