585,885 active members*
6,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 13 7891011
    AM, I work semi-cheap, Pilsner Urquel. Spent a 6-pack on the net last night trying to find a candidate frame for another project, Monarch VMC-RT. All we need is the base with a good rotary table. Another of those "confidential" deals where you have to do all the design and costing before you get a go-ahead. Anyway, good to see you back in action. How you doing on the missing engine parts? I snooped around a little and discovered that the biplane was designed by Stearman and was supposedly equipped with a WWI V8 or so the guy who put the piece together says. lol
    DZASTR

Well, you feel right at home here...It snowed again, almost as much as in Dec. I noticed the day it snowed, Minn. and Wisconsin had temps in the 60's and sunny..How many six packs a day do you get ? That sounds like expensive beer ?

Yes, that originally had a very heavy , water cooled V-8, that produced a the staggering amount of 90 hp..also pretty unreliable. The Wright 9 cylinder was a big boost, lighter and 225 hp...That is why the motor mounts were so ugly,they kinda did a fast-crappy job of installing the Wright. Have found no spare cylinders, just some completes..But at 50 grand some one in the family needs to hit the lottery..or find a moneyed sponser ( LOL)We may have to sell some playtoys 1st, as our wives are watching us( and the check books) real carefully..know what I mean ?

Adobe (old as dirt, but younger than Richard Zastrow, ha)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd snow_038.jpg  

AM, I was in the Czech Republic to approve a large ( 113' X 17') floor type Skoda HBM for shipment. After approval, we were treated to a very good dinner at a local Pilzn pub called the Pilsner Urquel Brewery. Before, during and after dinner we consumed copious amounts of the original
    pilsener lager. I,ve been drinking it ever since.
    Price is not all that bad, $12.99 a 12 pack, taxes and all, here in WI. They are now owned by SAB (South African Brewing co) who also own Miller Brewing among many others. BTW, how did you get a picture of my car?
    DZASTR

Ok no more than one 6 pack a day, I can afford you. That Mexican Hay Cart belongs to my wife ( Antique addict) and is chained very securley to the block wall..We bought it in Mexico and transported to here. I do not know why , but we got profiled bringing it back at the border entry..3 hours, they looked at everything, had the sniff dogs, pulled everything out of my Truck..Thank God, I had taken my rifle and amunition out before we left ..( I had forgotten it once, we actually spent 3 days in Mexico and were not stopped..had they found it , would be a nice siesta in a Mexican Jail ( real resorts, I understand) Had a neighbor accidently take his side arm, ammunition and holster into Mexico..hey 64 days, 25000 bucks plus his attorneys from both sides..man what a mess..plus his truck was stripped while he awaited getting out, his Insurance would not pay, because he was "involved" in a Felony..They are serous about no guns..of course all the bad guys have them..

Mounted the Z axis DRO reader and cover.You can see how we ( mostley by friend that came to help me due to my" positional challenges") installed the milled plates and stiffner. I have big hands, and those 5mm allen head fastners are a PITA..spent 30 minutes looking for one that got dropped, would hate to work with things that small all day. Hooked up the Z axis to the DRO head and ran the lathe real fast in the Z axis to machine maximum and still no backlash..at 25 inches it seems that there is a difference of
    .00047 according to the DRO..I'm not gonna fuss with it ..that is close, and we will see if it holds that good of tolerance when cutting.

pictures in no particular order..kinda getting crowded in the back of the lathe, but there is no more going back there any way. The X axis reader is a little easier to mount and get to, so will do that after I finalise the lube lines
    (now everything is in, I can use steel line, and clean that mess up.) Getting close, I'm anxious to start cutting, but if I don not take care of these last few things before using, then it seems they never get done..

Adobe (old as dirt)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jsw_finish_of_dro_z_axis_reader_installation_001.jpg   jsw_finish_of_dro_z_axis_reader_installation_002.jpg   jsw_finish_of_dro_z_axis_reader_installation_003.jpg   jsw_finish_of_dro_z_axis_reader_installation_004.jpg  

Mark Wrathall, (Rotary SMP) was kind enough to research for an Automatic Tool Changer and found this web site..http://www.cnc-projects.de/

It is all in German, but I was in awe looking at this guys projects. The workmanship is just outstanding to say the least,The design typical German, just very complicated, and stout..Did I mention complicated ?The wiring and electronics, although very neat and organised on the one CNC project, looks like he could run 5 machines ,lots of it !Would hate to trouble shoot electrical problems on that CNC.

I download the plans for the "Pistol",(ATC) which means , If I'm correct, I now know one German word, besides gesunheit. Super plans, and they downloaded into Vector CAD/CAM which is what I use. I do have to "select" each tool path to generate G code, but I have already done 5 of the drawings , generated the G code, printed out 1 to1, and now can see how it will be assembled.

Some place along the line I will have to get some German help, as I'm sure there are some written instructions that will be needed to assemble.

Vector came from Germany originally,and is very popular in the industrial sector in Europe as a CAD/CAM program .Was very happy to see the drawings download into Vector CAD /CAM.

I'm sure you will enjoy this guy's web site..If any one speaks German, can you tell if CNC is this guy's Hobby ? Looks very professional and well engineered. Inspired me anyway.

Adobe (old as dirt)

AM, I have a book called Klett's Modern German and English Dictionary I used in another life while employed @ Siemens for the same reason. Even though I,m of German heritage, I do not speak it very well. There are even 2 towns in Mecklenberg with my family name. Goes back to the old days of "Junkers class" land owners. If you want to borrow it, email your snail mailing address. Keep it till you,re done with your project or buy your own. It comes in handy when messing around with Pfauter, Leibherr, Hermle etc. machines. Got to go now, official P/U glass is MT.
    DZASTR

Its actually pretty simple, one of the dxf files is a cut away, the name of the file is revolve3.dxf. When you open this file you will find that everything is numbered, You will also find an .xls file, if you have microsoft office one of the newer version it has a translator function built in to it. How do I know this, well that is because I found it a couple of months ago, mine is nearly complete. I am waiting on my air line to come, hopefully this week. It looks pretty promising. You need to look at some of the dimensions, especially where the shaft passes through the hubs that bolt on to the outer case. After conversion the fits were interference fits ...not good. I plan on modifiying this design as time goes on. I want to have bearings in it to improve the life span. I will attach pics of mine so far... I have been following your thread for a long time... and I want to take this oppentunity to say you are doing some amaizing work!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gear case assy back.jpg   gear case assy top view.jpg   gear case assy.jpg  

Richard Z, thanks you have a PM..Invatation still stands !
    GaryCorlew, thanks for the kind words..I did find the file revolve3.dxf and that will help..

Tolerances: Both Vector CAD/CAM and Desk CNC can function in metric, so I'm downloading and generating G Code in metric, a simple check mark in DeskCNC will convert to metric. Do you feel there is still a problem with fits and tolerances, and where did you run into a problem ? I will try the language converter this evening..

Pictures of your project would be pricless..How long have you been working on the revolver..?

Adobe (still not as old as Richard Zastrow )

AM, Got the PM. Book should be on the way Tues. 35 deg. @ 10:00 AM today. Supposed to snow 3"-7" tonight. Thanks for the invite but I'll need to win a large payoff lottery to travel anywhere. Would love to though. BTW Richard aka Dick Zastrow= DZASTR It's on my lisence plates, was on my boat hulls, racing and trail sleds, all helmets etc. It's both a name and description.
    DZASTR

The one's you need to look at are items 10 & 11 the hole in these converted to .668 (if I remember correctly) and the main shaft item 9 converted to .669. I think there was a couple of more problems with 10 & 11 fitting into the outer case item 1 but I am not sure on that. After spending what I considered to much time correcting what I thought were problems I just decided to scrap fixing it and just redoing the whole thing, My thinking on this was that I was going to use sae parts anyways so why not just go ahead and get it done the way I needed it to be. I used parts from sdp-si and mcmastercarr. I also made the main shaft bigger and made it from two pieces rather than one because it was easier and faster for me to make. I will get some pics for you in the next day or so. Did you get the xls file converted to english? If you'd like you can pm me your email address and I can send it to you.

Richard Zastrow :I would not want to invite "disaster", it has followed me around pretty hard at times, we named the boat "Blue Bayou" (Blown Alcohol Hydro)and had number 777..did not help much.. 3 hulls in one season .. Thanks a bunch again..Hey, told you I would pay, 2 6 packs a day .. 11 degrees in the shop this morning, whew, I now have empathy for you guys who have this kind of cold all the time..Machines did not like it either.. broke some kind of record here, never been that cold in the last 126 years..

GaryCorlew: I can not seem to down load, PM you right away.Thanks very much !

Adobe (old as dirt)

AM, Books on the way. 5 deg. this morning. We got 4.5" white stuff. BTW we tied our record of 31 days of above freezing for daily high temp in Dec.-Jan. It was colder in AZ than WI. One of my wooden boats used that old tag of "Hot Knots". Another one was "Tiki II" both "Piloted by DZASTR" How would you like to see that on the cabin door of your next commercial flight? I like your "Blew By You" soon
    DZASTR

In Vienna we have had a couple of light frosts lately, but mostly it has been 10-15°C and sunny each day. The ski fields are all closing and they are trucking snow from the highest peaks, and using a helicopter to spread it on the famous downhill course for the race this week end.

Then you turn on the news and see pictures of snow in San Diego.

Bizarre!
    Regards,
    Mark

Thanks to Gary Corlew I have more of the ATC puzzel solved, and was able to open and save 2 more items...

Richard Zastrow was kind enough to send a German to English dictionary so should be able to stumble through the assembly instructions..And I thought Laotion and Vietnamise were hard to interput..Of course at age 19 was looking for something a little different than technical drawings..

Almost finished making a central oil log with valves and redoing the oil lines in steel, when that is finished, then can start on the X axes DRO sending unit. I'm going to combine the sending unit link to the cross slide and trips for the limit switches.

Will be able to post pictures tomorrow,like I said spending half a day going to Therapy and the road time is killing the good time in the shop...Maybe only one more week..

Again thanks Guys..

Adobe (old as dirt )

Adobe Machine , the German site you linked to. If you go to Google & look to the right of the screen you will see Language Tools. Click it & go to the bottom, there will be a place that you can take the URL from the German site & paste it. Click enter & it will bring the German site up all translaited for you.

The lathe is looking fantastic, great work. When are we going to see some chips from that puppy.

Jess

Lucky13: Thank you for that information..Although it is a little literal, does not take much to figure out what is being said..In fact spent a couple of hours looking at some other German websites..Very intresting , taking some time to "Tour" other European contries and their web sites.How long has this language conversion for the web been in effect ?

I should be making chips withen a couple of weeks, only two more therapy sessions to go . I'm finally getting able to leave the wheel chair for longer periods of time and gaining some energy and strength..Been a real bear this time on bouncing back..just a real PITA for some reason.

Still working on the oil system and common block, should be done with that by tomorrow afternoon, then the X axis limit switches and X axis DRO reader.The last item will be the encoder hook up for the spindle.

I have moved the lathe a little, so must re-leval which I have someone to help with, then re-set the tailstock . The 1st couple of cuts will be with the 4 jaw chuck, then get to install my new 6 jaw set-tru.

We are going to make some videos and will be posted on my neighbors web site as he has lots of room, we did a trial run, the video came out real nice and clear.

Again , thanks for the info

Adobe (old as dirt)

AM, As to the rehab etc. being a PITA, next time try landing on your head like I did. Has it's drawbacks though; I was 6' now I'm 5'-4". 500# of snowmobile, 200# of me all landed on my upside down helmet @ 120+ mph. Point of impact 77 feet down range from launch. I didn't feel a thing till I woke up in the hospital. Dr. Anice (we pronounced it anus) asked if would ever get on a snowmobile again. I said it's like a horse, you must get back on. Thats when he called me a "dumb SOB" keep on keepin' on
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by Adobe Machine View Post
    Lucky13: Thank you for that information..Although it is a little literal, does not take much to figure out what is being said..In fact spent a couple of hours looking at some other German websites..Very intresting , taking some time to "Tour" other European contries and their web sites.How long has this language conversion for the web been in effect ?
    LOL, I really dont know how long its been there. To tell the truth I wouldnt know about it if it wasnt for my Son. I guess the younger guy grow up with this stuff (computors) the boy has helped me learn a lot in this area. And I thought I was suppost to be getting him ready for the world, not the other way around.

I should be making chips withen a couple of weeks, only two more therapy sessions to go . I'm finally getting able to leave the wheel chair for longer periods of time and gaining some energy and strength..Been a real bear this time on bouncing back..just a real PITA for some reason.
    A little expiereance in this area myself. I just shut down my own performance shop because back & neck problems. I have dealt with it all my life though. And this time around I wasnt able to bounce back & keep going. It does get harder as time goes by thats for sure. But as all things seem to have two sides to them now I am learning more than I ever did about things. Looking for something to put my time & skills into has brought me to a pretty good group of people here. I dont think I have ever seen so many skilled & helpfull people as right here in this forum.

When the weather breaks I sould be getting my own machines up & running. I only hope I get them going as good as your results have been. Which brings me to a question. I have no lathe at all right now. I found a good deal on a Leblond 10x54 that is in good shape. I dont know how long you have had your machine but was wandering what you thought of it? They must hold up well, every one I see is still going. Can they do pretty good precision work? I am only going to have so much room, so I need a machine that can do a pretty good range of work. I cant be putting in two or three lathes. Maybe a good percision bench top plus a good size lathe but not two bigger lathes. I thought about a Monarch but there to short between the centers. With the LaBlond being close & priced good I dont want to pass it up if its a good machine. I noticed they have replacable ways, this is odd. Is this something they need on a regulor basis? The one I am looking at has good ways but just wandered. I bet it aint cheap to replace them?

Looking forward to seeing the chips fly on your new lathe, should do good.

Jess

Hi Adobe, Well I finally had time to take some pics of the tool changer. Did you get the excel file to open that I sent you? The parts are laid out in the order it goes together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Atc 001.jpg   Atc 002.jpg   Atc 003.jpg   Atc 004.jpg  

Atc 005.jpg   Atc 006.jpg   Atc 007.jpg   Atc 008.jpg  

Adobe,
    I have a question for Gary on his tool indexer and I promise not to add a lot unrelated post or questions not directly related to your project.
    BTW, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about and watching your project come together, workmanship looks top shelf.

Gary,
    How did you determine the final center height of your indexer ?

Thanks
    Ken

Page 9 of 13 7891011