584,837 active members*
5,380 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 12 of 13 210111213
    Adobe, Welcome back!!!!
    DZASTR

TT 350: No, I'm using Desk CNC to run both the Mill and Lathe, and Vector 11 as the CAD/CAM program ( Mill is a retrofitted Tree 10 X 50", that now has 4 axis capabilites),I also use a program called CLGG or "Lathe Quick" written by Ron Hill, a member of this forum, that can Thread ANY SAE or Metric thread, turn diameters, drill or groove . The program is a "fill in " or conversational type, using regular G and M code commands, the one big requirement is that the spindle RPM can be tracked,and the feed of the Z axis be controlled by the program.I got all of the programs from [email protected]. Their after sale service and help is just been very, very good.

DZASTR..! Good to hear from you too ! I'm making good progress this time. Surgeons used a very new method and hardware system that gives some flexability as opposed to complete rigid stabilization ( L1 to S1)..actually feel great, finally after 5 years...

Adobe (older than dirt, but younger than DZASTR!)

Adobe, NC Cams spilled his age in another posting. He was in high school in the late 60's. Young whipper-snapper. I know this should be in a PM, but this is easier. Now that you're up and around, do you have any inclination to pilot drag boats? My doctor called me a dumb SOB when I told him I would do just like a thrown horseman and climb back on my snowmobiles. Back to your thread now.
    DZASTR

Smile catch up and a new project

(nuts)NEW BUILD AND SOME PICS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER,ASSEMBLY_004.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

The base Plasma table is constructed of 2X2 heavy wall tubing (that is what hitches are made of). Shown welded with my MIG welder,and painted)

1st rule on this build is that it must be stout,use only materials that I own,(cheap) accuracy to .001 or better, be movable in the shop for storage ,cheap and fast.

A study of the Model Plasma Cutter I own (Miller 2050) shows I can cut up to 7/8 steel ( never tried that ) at approx 10 IMP, down to 1/8 at 180 IPM,(never could do that by hand),and without a quide, I can not cut a good streight line, with a guide, you can see my heart beat ,it is so sensitive. So CNC control is a must if I'm to use the Plasma cutter to its best use.

Pic 1 & 2 show the table welded and complete.

Pic 3 shows a temp mount of the X axis ,disassembled and cleaned, shown is the "belt gripper" and how stout that is, and that is 3 of eight interior ball rollers,really heavy duty . Once assembled with the eight side rollers there is NO side movement or slop.

I was really suprised how stout this assembly is..the inner tract is hardned steel, the bearing/ball rollers can be individually adjusted
    ( they are piloted with an eccentric stub shaft), and ditto the side rollers.This "robot" was well engineered and quality assembled.

pic 3 shows the inside track. The belt drive is split, ten te two are brought together with an adjustable cover, really neat.

pic 4 shows the side rollers for the X axis..

pic 5 more side rollers

pic 6 Y axis installed to X axis

pic 7 shows the Z axis (air operated + or -) mounted to the Y axis and X Axis.

pic 8 X and Y axis mount

next is the Z axis ( back)

next is the Y axis lazy end track,cut from a piece of 1" 6061.

Next my Miller Spectrum 2050

different view of X-Y axis

Machined plate or drive mock up

large top plate with machined pocket for the servo

another view

mock up x axis ( in the final , I used the same stack ,but moved the X axis To the outide of the table)

different view

X drive axis ( and the Y axis is identical except smaller) squeeze coller)

machined spacer and lower plate

spacer installed

lower plate and bearing installed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_002.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_004.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_007.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_009.jpg  

jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_010.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_011.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_012.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_014.jpg  

jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_016.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_017.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_018.jpg   jse_CNC_Plasma_Cutter_progress_018.jpg  

jse_CNC_Plasma_Cutter_progress_019.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER_BUILD_019.jpg   jse_CNC_Plasma_Cutter_progress_017.jpg   jse_CNC_Plasma_Cutter_progress_021.jpg  

jse_CNC_Plasma_Cutter_progress_022.jpg   jse_CNC_Plasma_Cutter_progress_024.jpg   jse_CNC_Plasma_Cutter_progress_027.jpg   jse_CNC_Plasma_Cutter_progress_028.jpg  

jse_CNC_Plasma_Cutter_progress_029.jpg  

Adobe,

Great to have you back.

I am reading with much interest your project descriptions.

Thanks

Paraprop

Nice to see you back!

Adobe,

glad to see you back!

What soft are you going to use?

I'm interested in your z axis, can't see much in the picture. One day, maybe once I've finished my lathe and CNCd my milling machine, I'll make a CNC plasma cutter

Regards, Matthew

Matt: I'm using Desk CNC.I just have had real good results with Desk CNC for the Lathe and Mill I retrofitted.Using Vector 11 CAD / CAM has helped a bunch to...If I had to hand code some of these prototype parts would take weeks instead of hours. I will note that there are a lot fewer mistakes when I CAD the part 1st.There have been some "unusual" events when I hand coded complicated parts.

The Z axis is going to be air operated. The Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter is a "drag type"ie, the torch is actually on the piece to be cut.Between what you can see in the Z axis(more pictures comming tomorrow)will be a block and a plate with ball bearing set screws in it.That locates the torch on the piece to be cut. I'm using an "M" code to raise and lower the Z axis.That triggers a 120 volt air valve to raise and lower.

The pictures here show how the slots were cut on my band saw ( it has an automatic table feed)I guaged the cuts with a piece of 1/8 steel, and a block squared at 3 inches. Pre setting the travel on the table gave me the same depth on all pieces. This was some real crummy looking 1 inch T6 that I cut on both sides to arrive at 3/4inch.

As you can see I mocked up the pieces prior to drill/counter sinking and machining the edges. I did offset the center row of slots so that the slats would fit tight and not move around while loading a heavy sheet.I'm sure I saw that on one of weld tutors assemblies.

I should have more together today, as I drilled /counter sank the Y axis track and cut all of the slats.

The pictures a kind of random, but yousee the progress .

Adobe (old as dirt)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER,ASSEMBLY_004.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER,ASSEMBLY_005.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER,ASSEMBLY_006.jpg   jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER,ASSEMBLY_007.jpg  

jse_CNC_PLASMA_CUTTER,ASSEMBLY_010.jpg  

I got a lot of assembly done this morning, to include the Y axis track (free end ) the y axis track wheel and made it adjustable. I was careful to "load" the trackwheel only about .002 or so on the track itself. You can see that I really countersunk the fastners for the Y axis, so after time I can resurface it when it starts showing wear.

You can see that the slats are cut and installed, due to the off center ,center slots it really keeps the sacrifical stock in tight.I did see on E-BOMB some one had designed a little different sacrifical slats and put some small tips on the ends , has any one here tried this ? The slats are cut from 1/8 flat stock that was laying around, had really rusted. I spent one day just grinding rust off, but saved some $$ by doing it that way.( or did I ?.I called and 20 feet of 2" flat, 1/8 thick is $20, that means I would need approx 80 feet ( 5 ft long sections) or $80 plus a 100 mile round trip .So maybe I did save some, and also cleaned out some metal that you know who had threatned to send away any way.

Again, this had to be a cheap build, so I found some DC gear/motor servos for $30 bucks each, and a nice looking complete 25 volt power supply for $29 from Kellor..man I just do not see how they can build these power supplies for that kind of money? The unit is enclosed,looks really complicated but very neatley laid out..

The drive componets : The small XL timing pulley is a 15 tooth, the large one is 60 tooth.(both X & Y) I machined the centers to the shafts I built, & broached for 1/8 keyways. The larger X axis drive shaft is .742 where it connects to the the main roller, then.750 the rest of the way. I machined the top and and bottom plates for matching ball bearings so they are well supported both ends. All of the plates are machined from some real rough looking 6061 T6,even had some extra holes here and there,but did not hurt their function. This is known as having more time than money, but I was able to clean them up to function. ( I just like new, pretty T6 that has not been scratched..) If you look at the pictures a few days ago, and the ones today you can see I turned the X axis around and mounted to the outside of the 2 inch tubing of the table, gave me more y axis, which it really needs .The x axis has a full 4 ft plus of travel, but the Y is only 42 inches, so the extra 2 inches help.This also means that the X axis side rack and wheels will be out of harms way.

The servo-gear motors turn at 4500 rpm, but the gear reducer brings the final shaft speed to 500 rpm.(9:1) The encoders give 900 pulses per final shaft revolution , the timing gearing is 4:1, and one revolutin of the drive shafts I made move the belt one inch.(note, thats just a "Kentucky Windage"measurment ). I will use the dial indicators when it is all hooked up.Desk CNC will see 3600 hundred pulses per inch which should give good reconcilation (my mill has 80,000 pulses per inch, the lathe has 3600 pulses per inch and I get good finish on the lathe.) Right now I can see no backlash,but suspect the gear motor servo will have some backlash after it loosens up. This is a streight gear reduction , not a planatary type, & I have never seen a streight reduction box not have some back lash.

Whats left is the swivel mount for the lap top I'm using,and make the rest of the Z axis and torch mount. Then start wiring it up..to still make it more affordable I'm using the lathe Desk CNC motion control card and the 2 Geckos for the Dir/step and closed loop from the servos. A master control switch will switch the power supplies,the DC power for the servos will come off the same master control, then the servo wiring will be seperate.

Unless I have some big wiring issues this should be cutting in 2 weeks, maybe ( famous last words)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jse_027.jpg   028.jpg   029.jpg   030.jpg  

031.jpg   037.jpg   jse_041.jpg   jse_042.jpg  

jse_043.jpg   jse_045.jpg   jse_047.jpg   jse_048.jpg  

jse_049.jpg   jse_050.jpg   jse_051.jpg  

Adobe has been kind enough to help me with a mill project this last year so I have been lucky to see this project from day one. He may not have a lot of money invested in this but the quality matches his lathe and mill, which are both outstanding.

Good job on the documentation and keep up the good work. My money is on it cutting in two weeks.

bbowers

bbowers..Thanks for the kind words,I did enjoy helping with your project..And what a nice project mr bbowers is doing:
    He is rerofitting a Wells Index 3 axis CNC Knee Mill..This Mill was made about the same time period as my retrofitted Tree Mill, but I think that Wells Index was way ahead when they built it. Quality and Heavy duty "stout" (plus some one took good care of the Mill) along with a lot of inovations that mr bbowers has buit into the retrofit make this an outstanding piece.

Mrbbowers ,along with being a super electrical tech and licensed electrician ( hey ,he gets to play with 11,000 hp ,fully automated Turbines all day) has taught himself metalworking,woodworking ,fiberglass etc.His "tool Shed" is full of neat woodworking/metalworking tools and his projects show old world craftmanship that we do not see any more.He has promised me that he will document the Wells Index retrofit "soon",so every one can enjoy .

Again Thanks

Adobe (old as dirt)

The last post here is 6 months old... Did Adobe have more health problems?

Yep,long story, short version...had to go in for another back operation,hardware failure..They decided to keep me in post care facility, terrible place..Seems everything is working real good at this time, and have started back in the shop a few hours a day..Thanks very much for your concern.
    Finished the CNC Plasma Cutter, works neat. The quality of cut is greatley improved over hand cuts.Holds a 1/64th inch tolerance, even in big circles,guess that is good as it gets..

Thanks
    Adobe Machine (old as dirt)

Welcome back.

Hope the maintenance work lasts abit longer this time.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Glad to hear your doing better

In real life I'm a Paramedic... I see people that are disabled on a daily basis.. I am really proud of you for your attitude and "can do" spirit... Most people just sit around feeling sorry for themselves after a life changing accident. You , Sir, are a wonderful exception.. Good Job

Steve

Welcome back Old Dirt !!!!!!!!!!! Geof sent me a pm to give me a heads-up. We're both hangin' in there.

I was quite upset about Dennis (NC Cams) passing, May He Rest in Peace.

I went down on Jan. 2nd. Turned out to be a minor thing, vegus nerve thing.

Well, keep on keepin' on.

Older than older than dirt, Dick Z
    DZASTR

You two fellas are young men, and getting younger every year I age!

Make those quacks keep you running smooth. Don't forget to apply the way oil generously too.

Cheers,

BW

BW, My way oil of choice is Pilsner Urquel. However, I was recently testing some 12 yr old, single barrel malt, 2 cask Aberlour Scotch. A little goes a long way, especially at the going price.LOL

Adobe, Keep in touch.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Every one,thanks for the nice replies...Steve Watkins, I will say at times I've not been a "nice patient",and in fact would say that some would judge me a real A-- H---.In six years since the accident,I have had to take the Insurance Company to Court 5 times just to get the care related to the accident.In two instances, my attorney has caught an M.D. ( with lots of degrees ,that sound real impressive) lying in testimoney to the Court in favor of the Insurance Company.This also caused` the Insurance Company's Attorney to have a"melt down" in the Court room,throwing papers,,screaming,directing foul language at me and my attorney,he would not quit,the Judge finally said the hearing was over....My attorney said that in 35 years in practice he had never seen conduct like that from any Lawyer !
    I do think that this time the Medicos have it right..I'm comfortable,the pain is less,and besides not having any feeling in my right leg,having reduced motion due to the entire Lumber Spine and one other being fused,I can function better than anytime in the last 6 years.
    Richard,nice to hear that your still ticking ! Now for something weird...I got an E Mail from Dennis (or at least his E mail address)on June 16,this year where in he sent (or some-one using his computor) a full G code for a real agressive roller cam. The G code is professional,a lot of work for some one.
    Was your incident in Jan.weather related ? E mail me ,and I need your address to return the German-English dictionary you loaned me a long time ago.(using that and the internet I was able to translate for the ATC,which I will build in the future).
    Again,thanks to all !

Adobe ( older than dirt,not as old as DZ)

Well its been awhile, and you gussed it right, another stay in the Hosbital..O'well, all is kinda good now and even tho confined to a wheel chair I have been able to ,with the help of a neighbor ( I paid him, he does have excellent skills and good hands) make a complete enclosure for the Tree Mill. I just got tired of wearing chips and coolant, my long suffering wife said " No More!" ( chips and oil ). I tried to use material we owned ( read "cheapo")so the cash outlay was minimal ( huh) the Skin is 22 guage steel, the frame work inside is 18 ga 1 1/2 " angle, then the extra bracing is some scrounged 1" drop ceiling material and other odds and ends. I had a fabrication steel company break the bottom so that there are 6 inch sides. I.E. 2 pieces for the bottom were bent on 3 sides, the middle piece was bent on 2 sides.

Then I spot welded the 2 end pieces and the middle piece together,roughed up the edges and corners and 'glassed all the edges and corners with 3 layers of fiberglass mat and epoxy resin. We then filled the bottom up to 5 inches of water, no leaks after 5 days and I called it good.

At each corner we bolted (and sealed ) 1 1/2" 16 ga angle, then connected and braced with the ceiling studs. This was after using two engine pullers to set the machine in the lower pan, then built around the machine base and neck, sealing all with either 'glass or caulking . Note: it took 3 people 2 days to move that heavy Tree mill where I wanted ,we bent equipment, scared ourselves ect..you just do not want to know, but the second time we dropped the Mill from 2 inches our neighbors came over and said they felt a big tremor !yeah, really and these are 3 acre lots ...

As you can see from the photos,I plumbed in Stainless Steel lines for every thing the Mill needs for oil including :Ball screws, Z ways, Spindle,knee acme screw and gears, X table, Y table. There are 2 manual pumps and one automatic pump ( I use that to suppliment the Spindle). It is easy to make the "Rounds" with the pumps, and each area has its own valve so that the way oil is focused to that area ...

One of the main reason for the enclosure is to use high pressure flood coolant, so I bought 2 ,21 gal fiberglass sinks and two 12 gal/ min. pumps the # 1 tank recieves the coolant mix ( 85-90 % water, emusified oil) from the bilge ( enclosure ) it is strained and filtered twice then transferred to the #2 tub, where it is filtered again the pressue pump recieves that coolant mix and then to coolant hub I fabricated around the spindle.
    What a differance in finish..plus I can increase IPM and DOC and still look good..

I did install a skimmer, and it seems to clean all of the tramp oil in about 4-5 hrs
    so that is done off time.

I have used the system for about 2 weeks now and am very pleased with how it functions...The pictures are random, but I think you can see what was done.... BUT STAY TUNED ! !, Something happened in the last three days that I just can not explain !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jsw_067.jpg   jsw_068.jpg   jsw_069.jpg   jsw_070.jpg  

jsw_071.jpg   jsw_072.jpg   jsw_073.jpg   jsw_074.jpg  

jsw_075.jpg   jsw_076.jpg   jsw_077.jpg   jsw_081.jpg  

jsw_082.jpg   jsw_084.jpg   jsw_085.jpg  

Page 12 of 13 210111213