512,398 active members
2,576 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 22 of 22 12202122
    Gold Member
    Jason 3:Yes an SC 77..And I was able to trace the circut. They use a real complicated
    VFD with a transformer that reduces 230 3 phase to 120 3 phase, but use up to 660 Hz (max) ! Thats how they bump the spindle to 40,000 rpm. I doubt that I can find a resonable priced VFD for this , so I'm must make the old VFD work , at least for the HS spindle. The regular spindle can use a late model VFD, but also requires cooling . The heat exchanger is "Missing in Action", so I'm fabricating a chiller, using the Cabnet AC, a small pump and an old AC condensor.

Really appreciate your offer of info,can you scan and email? If there is any expense involved, just email me and I will reimburse. Again, thanks

N4NV: Yes, the entire machine is in a "Pan"(welded and glassed together) approx. 8' x
    12', then we walled in just 4' x 12', approx 1/2 half of the machine actually in the wet zone. No leaks so far. The wet area holds approx 120 gals of coolant, that is circulated and filtered. I also bought an E Bay skimmer, so after I'm through for the day, I turn on the skimmer, and most of the tramp oil is picked up. ( I really oil this old machine, need it to last awhile.)

Pictures may help you.

Adobe ( Old as Dirt)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jsw_inside_tree_enclosure_006.jpg   jsw_inside_tree_enclosure_001.jpg   jsw_inside_tree_enclosure_002.jpg   jsw_inside_tree_enclosure_005.jpg  

Registered
    Thanks for the additional information. Now I have to figure out how lift my 5,000 pound mill high enough to slide a pan under it.

Vince

Registered
    Hi Adobe,

I'm really pleased to hear that auxiliary is an SC77 - I was beginning to think I was going to have to go it alone commissioning mine. It would sure be nice to use the existing VFD but if that's not possible, maybe there are some other affordable options - I have at least one VFD here to try that will allow the maximum motor voltage to be set and will reach 660 Hz ok so I will be sure to let you know how I get on.

I pulled out the manual - it's pretty sparse I'm sorry, titled 'operating and maintenance instructions', only 4 pages. I'll PM you for an email address to send it to.

I can see you have at least one tool holder for yours, so you are some way ahead of me!

Best regards,

Jason

Gold Member
    N4NV: The pan is made of 3 sheets of 22ga, the middle sheet ( which the machine sits on) has two bends at each end of 6.25 inches., so I only had to lift the machine a little more than the thickness of the sheet.That was not nice, that heavy Tree did not want to move, took almost all day to get the one sheet under. The two end sheets were bent 6 inches on 3 sides, then welded to the middle sheet.

Welded the corners, then glassed all of the seems and corners. The sides were erected around the pan,sealed the small gap between the pan and sides with sealer. As I stated, no leaks yet, And I have really turned up the coolant.

Good luck with your project,sure liked the Lathe build.

Adobe (old as dirt)

Registered
    It is a nice project.

Page 22 of 22 12202122