585,974 active members*
4,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which hobby bench top CNC router?

Hey All,
    I'll start with the apology if this has been asked before but my search didn't find any answers.
    No longer in the trade I'm finding many hobby jobs I want to be doing at home and now in the hunt for a CNC router/mill for the shed corner.
    I'm after a machine to cut 3mm Carbon Fibre an Alum sheet, ultimately cut area 450x250mm but 300x200 would do. I'd like to stay under the $5k mark an under $3k would be perfect, please pass on any help to me that you can?

Thanks
    M.Ellis

Re: Which hobby bench top CNC router?

Do you want to build your own or buy a completed machine?

MDF/t-slot machines would easily fit inside your budget and do what you want.

Either a kit to build or pre-assembled unit as I don't have the tools to accurately make one from a plan.
    Any suggestions on which brand/company to look at?

Thanks
    Michael

If it was me... I would buy v-trak from Openbuilds and put together a machine using aluminium extrusion.

You need v-trak for the X-Y-Z axes, but all the rest of the construction can be done with regular 20 or 40-section extrusion.

The only power tools you will need are a saw for cutting the aluminium - or take it to a local engineering place to get it accurately and squarely cut (should only be a few bucks).

You can order everything you need to DIY from Openbuilds, or buy a completely assembled machine from Colin at Robocutters in the UK.

As an example: A X3 kit in 500mm x 750mm with all the options, including steppers, spindle, software, comes to NZ$2800, plus shipping.

https://www.robocutters.co.uk/prodde...CutterX3CNCKit

But, you could build it yourself cheaper.

Look at the Routy on the Openbuilds site - it uses cheap GT3 timing belts and pinions, which are plenty accurate enough for hobby use - as long as you keep your feed rates at respectable levels. You can build the machine to whatever size you want.

ROUTY CNC Router (V-Slot Belt & Pinion) | OpenBuilds

If you want something more robust, use ballscrews instead of belts.

There's plenty of help available online.

That's perfect for me, thanks so much.

There are also some good turnkey small routers out of China with good installed base in Australasia.

Just as an FYI, I built an 8x4 machine, complete with all electronics, etc. for NZ$3500, including very expensive shipping (I am not in NZ, but in Borneo - shipping here, especially from the UK and US is really expensive).

For that I got good-quality steppers, a 2.2kw water-cooled spindle with ER20 collet (and a full range of collets), US-made electronics, Australian-made alloy plate and anti-backlash bearing, a solid platform to mount it on, all cables, connectors, and a bunch of spares.

I didn't need any computing - got lots of that - and I went relatively budget on the software, only piece I bought was CamBam - everything else is opensource.

A reasonably common machine is one of these:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/chines...ng-router.html

Works pretty much out of the box, but you do need to be prepared to learn and tweak as needed.